What's new

Is Jailbreaking Really Worth It?

madlille

Reaction score
I'm about to open a new line and get a 32gb White iPhone 5. I'm fairly happy with everything other than a few restrictions. So is Jailbreaking really worth it? Will it damage the phone or OS? Is there really that much (mainly apps) available than non-JB OS's? I know this is the place to find out 'cause just reading and a couple replies on iPF.net have taught me more than anyone or anyplace I could ask.

Sent from iPhone using iPF.net

Jailbreaking comes down to whether or not your satisfied w/ iOS in it's stock form. As far as damaging the phone or iOS... no. When the initial restore to 6.1 and the Jailbreak is carried out properly there's no damage done what so ever. And... the Jailbreak is always fully reverseable back to stock.

The only way that you can damage your phone by jailbreaking is by doing one of the following:
  • Not being able to follow the very basic instructions when using Evasi0n or any other jailbreaking software
  • Forcing applications/tweaks on your device despite the warnings that it's incompatible with your device with the software/hardware check
  • Not reading the descriptions to apps and tweaks and see if they're compatible if number 2 is not applicable
  • Snooping around system files when you have no clue what you're doing
  • Disconnecting your device during a restore process or during a jailbreaking process
  • Don't overthink
  • Do not maintain and groom your jailbroken device
It's really REALLY hard to mess up a jailbroken iDevice. In most cases, you'll get hiccups, and those are easily solved by using Safe Mode or simply restoring your iOS. Then there are the bigger problems such as users not following directions and heeding to warnings that tells you to do this rather than that. If you're unsure about something ask the question, there aren't any stupid questions, just stupid answers, meaning you have nothing to lose. Better to get a plain one word answer, than to completely and utterly screw up your device. If you want to mess up a jailbroken iPhone, with a little common sense and a bit of reading, it's as easy as explaining the theory of relativity to a 2 year old, which is not at all.

One example would be users trying to force tweaks and apps to run on their devices by changing the profile of the device. Sure you'll be running that app or tweak, but it's not made for your device and was never compatible with your device. Say the app is for iPads only, and you forced it on an iPhone. It might somehow work, but after a respring or reboot, you'll have yourself a nice, shiny, glossy, expensive brick.

Thanx for all the help. Think I'm gonna go with it. Nothing like the rush of breaking a few rules.

Thanx for all the help. Think I'm gonna go with it. Nothing like the rush of breaking a few rules.

As long as you realize that breaking those rules have a monetary cost associated, usually in the several hundred dollar range, and you can afford to pay for that "rush" when it occurs, then enjoy.

Before anyone chimes in on my comment, please read the following. Is jailbreaking illegal?http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/#post210677

I'm using iOS 6.1 untethered. Question now is, can you backup while jailbroken and also restore. So if you get a new phone you won't have to reinstall everything??

Yes and yes. Jailbreaking does not affect iTunes functionality. You can restore ad backup however you want while jailbroken, just note that after restoring, your jailbreak will be wiped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Get a grip!!!

ROTFLMAO. That is exactly what I have. A complete understanding of everything involved.

So your statement is rather pointless when you actually take the time to think it thru.

So no matter what, you have to manually reinstall apps, tweaks and such, everytime you restore?

You can use PKGBackup from Cydia to backup and restore your jailbreak tweaks and apps. It does come with a pretty steep cost for $9.99, but TBH, in the long run, it's definitely worth the investment. Unless you want to manually install your hundreds of tweaks and such.

Hell no!! Think I'll just pay the 10 bucks. Thanx man.