What's new

Is it still possible to upgrade to IOS 5.0.1 ?

avian100

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade my Iphone 4 from a older operating sytem with a custom ISPW made with Redsnow (to keep my Baseband) and when I put it in dsw mode with redsnow and then try to apply the custom ISPW with itunes it error's telling me" this is not eligible for the build? " anybody?

I am trying to upgrade my Iphone 4 from a older operating sytem with a custom ISPW made with Redsnow (to keep my Baseband) and when I put it in dsw mode with redsnow and then try to apply the custom ISPW with itunes it error's telling me" this is not eligible for the build? " anybody?

You have to build a custom IPSW with either iFaith or Sn0wbreeze with your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs. Because 5.0.1 is not being signed any more, you must build an IPSW with your 5.0.1 blobs.

You cannot just make a custom IPSW. You have to have the blobs stitched in or it will never work.

iFaith AND Sn0wbreeze IPSW's NEVER update baseband. and NEVER WILL.

Sn0wbreeze will pre-jailbreak the IPSW, unless you choose "Baseband Preseration Mode". Then it does not jailbreak. All "Baseband Preservation Mode" does is "not" jailbreak. No matter which option you choose in Sn0wbreeze, your baseband will be preserved.

First download the 5.0.1 IPSW for your device model. Save it to your desktop.

Next download Tiny Umbrella
Open it
Plug in phone
Click the "Save SHSH" button.
If 5.0.1 shows in the list then your good. If it does not,..keep trying....if it won't show...then you cannot restore to 5.0.1.
(to know where TU saves your SHSH, click the "Advanced" tab. There is a white box with a path to the location of your SHSH blobs).

Next.....well depends what tool you want to use. Both will preserve Baseband, and both are extremely similar.

With Sn0wbreeze be sure to click "iFaith Mode" then select your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs in the pop up window.

With iFaith, click "Build Signed IPSW w/ Blobs".
Select the IPSW you downloaded, then select your 5.0.1 blobs.

Pretty self explanatory from there.

You must enter PWNED DFU mode with iREB before restoring to any custom IPSW.....no matter what tool makes it. iREB is located within Sn0wbreeze and iFaith.

Both tools save the custom IPSW to your desktop when they are done creating it.

These are the only 2 ways (besides redam0w, which I do not recommend) to restore to 5.0.1, since Apple is not signing it any more.

Last edited:
Mary123 said:
why are you assuming they have shsh. she never stated that.

Sent from my iPhone using Doopris

Just in case.

Mary123 said:
why are you assuming they have shsh. she never stated that.

Sent from my iPhone using Doopris

And I didn't assume. .........

Great! Thanks for all the help, but I am a Mac user how would I do this with a Mac what programs do i use and how do I attach 5.0.1 blobs?

Also does it have to be Blobs from that specific Iphone or any Iphone 4?

It's the same program for either PC or Mac... just be sure to download the appropriate version for your Mac as opposed to the PC version. And yes, it has to be SHSHs (blobs) from your iPhone. As Zig stated above... download Tiny Umbrella and run it to see what SHSHs you have.

I cant find a version of Sn0wbreeze for mac it always leads me to pwnagtool say its the same but I dont see where in pwnagetool where you can select your blobs?

avian100 said:
I cant find a version of Sn0wbreeze for mac it always leads me to pwnagtool say its the same but I dont see where in pwnagetool where you can select your blobs?

There is no Sn0wbreeze for Mac. all of iH8sn0w's tools are for Windows only. Except for f0recast. Which you did not need for this.

You need to use redsn0w to stitch your SHSH blobs to your 5.0.1 IPSW.

You will probably get stuck in a recovery loop because redsn0w does not do the stitching very well. You might not. Hit and miss with redsn0w's stitched IPSW's.

If you do...just use redsn0w recovery loop fixer by entering DFU mode then clicking "Extras", then clicking the "Recovery Fix" button.

As far i know Apple no longer signs for 5.0.1 but you can get 5.0.1 if you use snowbreeze or ifaith.

OK Thanks for all the help everybody but one more question how do I stitch my SHSH blobs to 5.0.1 IPSW with redsnow ?

avian100 said:
OK Thanks for all the help everybody but one more question how do I stitch my SHSH blobs to 5.0.1 IPSW with redsnow ?

I do not recommend redsn0w. There is a really good chance you will get in a recovery loop.

Try using iFaith or Sn0wbreeze for building an IPSW with blobs. Windows only tho.