What's new

Is it normal for my eyes to be strained from using my 5C for like about 5 hours ?

SubzeroA

Reaction score
I got a new job and out of a 8 hour shift there's like about 5 hours of down time so I'll read and surf websites. I don't watch video's, I pretty much just read stuff. I'm kinda getting light/mild headaches and my eyes feel dry. Are these normal symptoms with the amount of time I'm using the phone ? I'm 40 by the way and did get my eyes checked like 5 years ago and they were 20/20. I've not had my phone very long I got it when I got this new job. The 5C has a 4.3 inch screen the phone I had before had a 5.2 inch screen but I never used my old phone near as much as I do this one.

Are my eyes straining because it's a smallish screen, and if I had a bigger screen it would be fine ?

or No matter what size screen I got, staring at the screen for about 5 hours on and off during my 8 hour shift would strain my eyes anyway ?

Agreed. After a protracted session (and nothing remotely approaching 5 hours continuous use) I have difficulty focussing. I'd suggest taking breaks.

But do you think of my screen was a little bigger it would help out my problem ? Now thinking about it, a 1'' inch bigger screen probably wouldn't make a difference.

I suffer from Blepheritis so my eyes get dry and sore.
I use moisturising eye drops, You might benefit from those.
You need to take plenty of breaks, Focus on an object the furthest away from you for a while.
Another thing you should do is make sure you blink, when staring at a screen for long periods we can forget to blink, Blinking moisturises our eyes.

One more thing you might want to consider getting a sight test and check up, After five years it would be a good idea.

You can also adjust the font size, so you put less strain on your eyes. I'm now in my late 40s and I had to start doing that about 2 years ago to help with this issue.

Adjust the font size so you won't be straining your eyes much that way. And yes, if you use any phone for continuous five hours, you'll get mild headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the low contrast text and icons are what causes my eye strain. I wish black on white would get back in vogue. That washed out light grey is for the birds IMO!

All the low contrast text and icons are what causes my eye strain. I wish black on white would get back in vogue. That washed out light grey is for the birds IMO!
Would the black and white display option that Apple offers help? Also, too much time on a small iPhone display could cause more eye strain than the larger display of an iPad or full size computer display.

Would the black and white display option that Apple offers help? Also, too much time on a small iPhone display could cause more eye strain than the larger display of an iPad or full size computer display.
Not really. I use a dark theme in TapaTalk and several apps. It's mostly news articles. Some I can use the "reading mode" in the top left of Safari. Some don't offer it. Some apps use the low contrast for text and other things like little icons. They're hard to see. I emailed the developer for Facetune. He called it "Modern Style Sensitivities". I laughed and shook my head.

Sometimes practicalities take a back seat to style in the never ending pursuit of the hottest new trend.