What's new

My first week with iOS and away from Android

DroidConverted

Reaction score
Having been with Android for the last 3 years I was pretty apprehensive about the change but I felt that it was a change that I needed to make.

What I miss:

It's not really as much as I thought but there are sme things that I do miss about Android.

1) Swiftkey (or any keyboard replacement). I wasn't a big fan of Swype but used Swiftkey extensively. I really miss being able to type entire text messages without typing out a single work. I hope iOS 5 allows us to change the keyboard.

2) Widgets. Although I don't miss them as much as I though, I still wish I had them, especially the toggles (wi-fi, bluetooth, etc). I do like the weather widget in the notifications bar though.

3) Screen size. Coming from the Razr (which was too big IMO), it was a big adjustment. I'd rather have the smallish iPhone though over the Rzar behometh.

4) Google navigation. I am going to have to buy a good nav app but I'm still doing some research on whch one I should get.

5) Free apps. It seems like there are more ad-based free apps (that I am interested in) for Android. Most of the good ones for iOS cost money. I guess I'll be picking up some iTunes cards.

What I like:

1) The display quality. I am loving the Retina display. It definitely helps overcome the screen size. What a beatiful display!

2) Apps. This is a biggie for me. It's not the total amoutof apps but the quality of the apps. There are simply better apps available for iOS. Even the ones that I had in Android are better in iOS.

3) The camera. Nothing else needs to be said. Nothing comes close.

4) The iOS ecosystem. Again, there isn't much else to say here. There are simply more third party accessories that one could ever need or use. There is something for every taste, style and need.

5) Size. It fits great in my pocket and in my hand.

6) Build quality. It's a very solid, well built piece of electronics.

As you can probably tell, I'm really liking the 4s. Siri is a gimmick and aside from playing around with it, I don't see myself using it much. I got myself an Ottorbox Communter which I really like.

I got the 32GB 4s on eBay for only $400. It was graded a "B" by the seller (Poweron.com) but if it's a "B", an "A" has to be brand new. I still can't find a mark anywhere on the phone. Even the water sensor is intact. It's in such good shape that Verizon allowed me to add their insurance to it after they took a look at it. I've always had insurance on all of our phones and used that as my reasoning for them to allow it. So if it craps out tomorrow, I'm covered.

As I get more time with it I'm sure to find even more reasons to like it. I'm most likely going to Jailbreak after the new methods have been out for a while and the wrinkles ironed out. I never even attempted to Root my Androids because I was afraid of bricking them, but for some reason I just feel comfortable Jailbreaking my iphone.

If you jailbreak your iPhone you can get widgets on the home screen and the notification center. You can also get toggles (wifi, Bluetooth, etc) in the notification center using a tweak called SBSettings. Check out the jailbreak threads, I believe you'll find all of the things you miss on android are possible on iOS.

Last edited:
What I miss:

2) Widgets. Although I don't miss them as much as I though, I still wish I had them, especially the toggles (wi-fi, bluetooth, etc). I do like the weather widget in the notifications bar though.

agree - especially for the WiFi switch - as it is two taps and a swipe away from the home screen

5) Free apps. It seems like there are more ad-based free apps (that I am interested in) for Android. Most of the good ones for iOS cost money. I guess I'll be picking up some iTunes cards.

An important difference between Android and iOS

What I like:

1) The display quality. I am loving the Retina display. It definitely helps overcome the screen size. What a beatiful display!

I like the detail of the Retina display - contrast-wise, however, nothing could yet beat Galaxy displays

6) Build quality. It's a very solid, well built piece of electronics.

True - iPhone is built to be timeless and to last both in terms of design and in terms of durability compared to some of the more alien-looking HTCs which as if appeared from the "5th Element" movie :)

Took me a matter of days to get used to iPhone (switching from Android) - never got used to Android - this is why I switched.

I use Waze, it's a free navigation application with voice guidance.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

I miss the back button too. If I go from Twitter to Safari I can't seem to get back to Twitter easily.

I think I'm going to jailbreak soon. Can't decide between Absinthe and Redsn0w. Any suggestions anyone?

You have to press the home button twice to go back and forth between open apps.

As for jailbreaking if you don't rely on preserving baseband and unlocking, then use absinthe it works awesome.

If you rely on unlocking then stay away from absinthe.

I use Waze, it's a free navigation application with voice guidance.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I'll check it out.

You have to press the home button twice to go back and forth between open apps.

As for jailbreaking if you don't rely on preserving baseband and unlocking, then use absinthe it works awesome.

If you rely on unlocking then stay away from absinthe.

Unlocking isn't a big deal since I'm with Verizon but what is baseband?

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Unlocking isn't a big deal since I'm with Verizon but what is baseband?

Ok then jailbreak with absinthe 2.0.4 go read Unleashed's thread about how ro do it and make sure you download the CDMA ispw file from the link he provides.

The baseband = The modem firmware revision number which can be found in settings>general>about