What's new

is iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1 better?

Hey guys,

Just a new iPhone user, I'm using iPhone 3gs 8g, already jailbroken, with OS 5.01.

I would like to learn how to update it to the latest version and and my phone is not factory unlocked.

What are the things i should check first and where?

How to jailbreak my phone with the latest oS?

Thanks in advance.

rLhan said:
Hey guys,

Just a new iPhone user, I'm using iPhone 3gs 8g, already jailbroken, with OS 5.01.

I would like to learn how to update it to the latest version and and my phone is not factory unlocked.

What are the things i should check first and where?

How to jailbreak my phone with the latest oS?

Thanks in advance.

If the phone requires an unlockable baseband...just download Sn0wbreeze: ih8sn0w.com/.

Then download the 5.1.1 iPSW for your device *model* here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=firmware

Choose Expert or General. Either way..Sn0wbreeze creates an iPSW that will not update the baseband, and will jailbreak the phone at the same time.

However...if your iPhone does not require and unlock because you are using it with AT&T anyway....you don't have to worry about preserving the baseband...but if I were you I would preserve it anyway, should you want to sell it in the future. Really increases the value when the device has an older unlockable BB on the newest firmware.

zig9449 said:
If the phone requires an unlockable baseband...just download Sn0wbreeze: ih8sn0w.com/.

Then download the 5.1.1 iPSW for your device *model* here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=firmware

Choose Expert or General. Either way..Sn0wbreeze creates an iPSW that will not update the baseband, and will jailbreak the phone at the same time.

However...if your iPhone does not require and unlock because you are using it with AT&T anyway....you don't have to worry about preserving the baseband...but if I were you I would preserve it anyway, should you want to sell it in the future. Really increases the value when the device has an older unlockable BB on the newest firmware.

Is this the baseband?

$image-1227683064.jpg

Do i need to downgrade it?

My friend told me that my phone is lock in Korea.

And my signal and 3g keep on dropping down same with push notification is not working well...

here is the info.

$iphone 3gs.JPG

what should i do next?

Thanks again...

Last edited:

Then download the 5.1.1 iPSW for your device *model* here: Firmware - The iPhone Wiki

just did what you advise. after phone updates my phone is just SEARCHING... for network then go to NO SERVICE.

any help?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited: