What's new

Possible to Downgrade 5.1.1 to 5.1 on 4S?

kizer

Reaction score
I upgraded to 5.1.1 on my 4S and the battery drainage is driving me a bit bonkers. Both my wife and I's phone is obvious there is something going on. I didn't appear to have any issues with 5.1 and honestly I was really happy with performance and battery usage.

I'm rather new to IOS so any suggestions are very welcome.

I have an iPod touch instead of iPhone so my experience may be a bit different but I updated to 5.1.1 and my battery has been doing fine. Make sure your charger is meant for your device as using a charger for an iPad or laptop on an iPhone or iPod can damage the battery. Other than that I don't know what to tell you other than pay attention to if any specific apps drain the battery and turn the brightness lower...hope this helps!

You cannot state whether an iOS ha poor battery life until you do a cycle charge.

If you restored to 5.1.1...and the battery started draining real bad...that means *nothing*.

Let charge to 100%...then unplug and use it til it's about 20 to 10% battery life left. You must not plug it in at all during this time.

Then charge to 100% leaving it on charge for a good 2 hours after it reaches 100%....

Then unplug....NOW you will be able to truly tell if iOS 5.1.1 has brought poor battery life.

When I restored my iPod 4 to 5.1 the battery drained rapidly....then I did a full cycle charge and the battery was the best battery that iPod has ever had....

Tho I messed it up playing with it too much...so I downgraded back to 5.0.1 so I could have an untethered jailbreak.

Make sure your charger is meant for your device as using a charger for an iPad or laptop on an iPhone or iPod can damage the battery.
I don't believe this is the case. Everything I've read says that the two are interchangeable and one will not harm the other's battery. Charging the iPad with the iPhone charger takes longer, but neither will hurt the other AFAIK.

The only thing that can hurt a device, when using a DC charger, is the incorrect voltage. So an iPad charger can charge an iPhone or iPod with no issues.

Sorry guys. I'm eating some crow on this one. After a few days of charging my phone seems to work just as well as it did with 5.1

I should of known better coming from the Android world when I nearly told everybody the same thing when they flashed a new Rom on their phone. Of course with Android it was very easy to go back and kinda panic'ed with my new IOS device. ;)

Hi. I've already posted in another thread that 5.1.1 does drain battery quicker and it's all right turning off all the services running but cutting back on functionality isn't the right answer in my book. However, I have picked up other ways to solve the issue. The email settings are a culprit, after the upgrade, the email function keeps a data connection open. A hard boot can solve this occasionally , but the best option is to upgrade then delete all your email account settings, reboot and recreate the settings. This helped solved issues re battery usage for me on 5.1 and 5.1.1. Hope it helps you. I got this from an ex-apple store genius' blog.

Here is pod2 comment today!!!

Thanks to awesome work of @planetbeing and @pimskeks, we're near ready for a release. Now it's a matter of days.

Release for 5.1.1 is coming very soon!

Agree with iFrog.

Why downgrade to 5.1?

You guys do realize that the 5.1.1 untether only applies to 5.1.1 on A5 devices and the untether will NOT work on 5.1.