What's new

is iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1 better?

coleworldbby

Reaction score
i really would like to know the pro's & cons whether to stay on 5.1 or upgrade to 5.1.1. for the untethered jailbreak that i been waiting forever on 5.1 but hasn't released which ios is better?

iOS 5.1 and iOS 5.1.1 both are nice OS and there are no major different between that. According to my information 5.1.1 does not support jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0 and 2.1.

Sorry?

Absinthe 2.0 (which is actually version 2.0.4 now) is the jail break tool for ALL devices on iOS 5.1.1. And, it creates an untethered jail break.

My understanding is that iOS 5.1.1 improved battery life (versus 5.1). I'm not aware of much difference, but, others are.

Just to clarify...

Marilyn

Update to 5.1.1.

The battery life is fine.

The only reason one would have bad battery life after updating is because they did not properly full cycle charge.

When I first updates to 5.1.1 my battery was plummeting down dramatically.

In other words...I had really bad battery life.

Fortunately...I knew better then to blame iOS 5.1.1...did a *proper* full cycle charge...and my batter is perfect.

Besides...the 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak is much more stable then the 5.1 tethered jailbreak.

It is totally worth updating just for the untethered jailbreak alone.

And BATTERY LIFE IS GREAT.

im new to i phone world... i currently own a i phone 3gs 16 gig :D
i JB with Absinthe2.0 very easy....
i had a bad battery issue were my phone was givin a "the ghost creen?"
were my phone would randomly turn off...
i just fixed it today...
anyways......lol my pohne works great...
what do u mean by a battery recyle charge??

It's 'full cycle' charge. Get the battery below 20% and let it charge to 100%. There are apps that help with that. There is actually a trickle charge after it gets to 100%

totallylagit said:
It's 'full cycle' charge. Get the battery below 20% and let it charge to 100%. There are apps that help with that. There is actually a trickle charge after it gets to 100%

Actually a full charge cycle is:

1) Charge to 100%
2) Drain to below 20%
3) Charge back to 100% using iPhone as little as possible...and not at all from 70% to 100%.....be sure to leave on charge for 2 hours *after* it has reached 100%.

The hard part is not using the phone during the last phase of the final charge.....and using the phone heavily while it's near 100% on the final charge completely defeats the purpose if doing the full cycle charge.

I guess I just assumed most people charge their iPhone to 100% naturally

totallylagit said:
I guess I just assumed most people charge their iPhone to 100% naturally

What does "naturally" mean?

A full cycle charge is something *every* lithium ion battery should have done at least once every month or 2....or when the battery seems to have less charge then usual.

Naturally. Automatically assumed. I am aware what lith ion batteries require. End of discussion

I prefer to have the most up to date firmware.

Typically I wait a couple of weeks to monitor Internet chatter on bugs that need ironing out.

As I'm stock at the moment updating is not an issue although I prefer to use iTunes to update and not OTA , which is just my preference.

Currently awaiting ios6 !

Sorry every 1 new here just have some Questions?
I have just bought a Iphone 4 and dont know that is this a FU or not i need help on some things

1.how to tell if my iphone is Factory unlock or not?
2.how to update it on 5.1.1 and still be able to jailbrake and which baseband is ok for Now
3.is it even possible to jail brake FU iphone.
Specs:
Model: mc603b
modem firmware: 04.11.08
Version: 5.0.1(9A405)

Last edited:
Sorry every 1 new here just have some Questions?
I have just bought a Iphone 4 and dont know that is this a FU or not i need help on some things

1.how to tell if my iphone is Factory unlock or not?
2.how to update it on 5.1.1 and still be able to jailbrake and which baseband is ok for Now
3.is it even possible to jail brake FU iphone.
Specs:
Model: mc603b
modem firmware: 04.11.08
Version: 5.0.1(9A405)
IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

1. Not sure how to tell if it's factory unlocked. Did you buy direct from apple?
-If yes then it is unlocked. If not then likely it is not unless you bought it from someone and that is still uncertain. Try another carriers sim

2. Update through iTunes to 5.1.1 and yes it's still jailbreakable
3. If by FU you mean factory unlocked, yes you still can jailbreak it
3. It is not wise to post your IMEI from what I've read

1. Not sure how to tell if it's factory unlocked. Did you buy direct from apple?
-If yes then it is unlocked. If not then likely it is not unless you bought it from someone and that is still uncertain. Try another carriers sim

2. Update through iTunes to 5.1.1 and yes it's still jailbreakable
3. If by FU you mean factory unlocked, yes you still can jailbreak it
3. It is not wise to post your IMEI from what I've read
Thx for ur help and advice i will take care of that.