What's new

iOS 5.1 update

brvaland

Reaction score
Hi,

As you are aware that iOS 5.1 is released yesterday so apple will stop signing iOS 5.0.1 in next few weeks.

i have downloaded iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file from apple server few days ago and will never upgrade iOS but what if my iPhone crashes and I need to restore then can I use downloaded 5.0.1 IPSW to restore my phone or will I be forced to 5.1.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Yes you can you simply hold down the shift key and press restore in itunes. Then point it to your IPSW file.

Rummor has it that Apple has stop signing iOS 5.0.1.

I don't know if it's true but if any of the MODS Have any inside news or confirmed reports please let us know

Hi Joel,

Does that affect me for restore to 5.0.1 IPSW file from iTunes using shift + restore as I have not update my iPhone 4S to 5.1?

Please confirm ?

Hi Thomas,

If i have not updated my iPhone 4S to 5.1 then will I still be able to restore to 5.0.1 in iTunes by shift + restore and select 5.0.1 IPSW file.

Please advise ?

If i have not updated my iPhone 4S to 5.1 then will I still be able to restore to 5.0.1 in iTunes by shift + restore and select 5.0.1 IPSW file. Please advise ?
Unfortunately, no. Selecting an IPSW file via shift+restore still requires the signing window to be open or have SHSHs save for that IPSW. Since iOS 5.0+ doesn't work the same w/ saved SHSHs that doesn't work either. Sorry.. :-(

Thanks

What is about saving SHSH blobs ?

As I am still on iOS 5.0.1, can I save SHSH blob and APTicket.

I have ordered GEVEY ultra S to unlock iPhone 4S so i want to remain on 5.0.1 but if my phone crashes is there anything I can do now to have a better chance of recover.

Any help will be highly appreciated !

Hi Thomas

Further to my above message - can you please check the link below reference to saving SHSH blob and APTicket and let me know if that will work for me?

Save 5.0.1 APTickets / SHSH Blobs with Redsn0w for 5.1 Downgrade | Cydia Blog

Thanks
Bhavesh
From what I see in this tutorial... you're creating a "Custom" firmware to restore to. I'm not quite sure where to proceed from this point. I'm going to point this thread out to another one of our Mods, Jmills87... and hopefully he can shed some light onto this for us. It'll be a good learning experience for me as well. Sorry I can't help from here... but I'm sure we can get you the right answer. :)

Thanks for your help - I will wait for further update on the thread.

If your phone crashes or anything happens and you have to restore, you will have no choice but to restore 5.1. The tutorial you posted is only for devices prior to the iPhone4S and iPad2. In order to restore a custom firmware with stitched SHSH blobs, your device must be susceptible to the limera1n bootrom exploit. Since this exploit does not exist on A5 devices, you will not be able to use that method to downgrade.

Us A5 device users will have to wait until a bootrom exploit is released for A5 devices before we will be able to utilize our SHSH blobs for 5.0.1.

I got woke up at about 3:30 this morning when my phone decided to let me know that the iOS 5.1 update was available for me to download. I downloaded the update around 9 am and the 2 biggest things I have noticed are of course the camera swipe from the lock screen, and a HUGE improvement in battery life.

I'm on Verizon. I take my phone off the charger at 8 every morning (rough guess) and by lunch time it's usually down around 65%. Thats with a couple calls, moderate texting, and some Facebook and web surfing. I have email set for push, along with Facebook notifications. Location services for Facebook, Map Quest & Google Earth stay on as well as WiFi.

After updating this morning and using my phone the same as I do everyday my battery had only dropped to 96% by lunch. As it sits right now (10:53 pm EST) it's sitting at 62%. I'm pretty impressed just for the improvement in battery life alone !

I got woke up at about 3:30 this morning when my phone decided to let me know that the iOS 5.1 update was available for me to download. I downloaded the update around 9 am and the 2 biggest things I have noticed are of course the camera swipe from the lock screen, and a HUGE improvement in battery life.

I'm on Verizon. I take my phone off the charger at 8 every morning (rough guess) and by lunch time it's usually down around 65%. Thats with a couple calls, moderate texting, and some Facebook and web surfing. I have email set for push, along with Facebook notifications. Location services for Facebook, Map Quest & Google Earth stay on as well as WiFi.

After updating this morning and using my phone the same as I do everyday my battery had only dropped to 96% by lunch. As it sits right now (10:53 pm EST) it's sitting at 62%. I'm pretty impressed just for the improvement in battery life alone !

That IS impressive - be interesting to see how the battery stacks up using heavy video cam usage.