What's new

Is anyone else having these issues or am I just unlucky? (iPhone 4s, iOS 5.0.1)

farminz93

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having so many stupid issues with my iPhone 4s and don’t know if I am alone or if these are wider scale issues.

Unresponsiveness:

I might receive a phone call and I won’t be able to answer the call. I will try to slide the answer the call but nothing will happen.

Again, when unlocking the phone, it persistently doesn’t slide and when it does, it sometimes take ages to load the app which is open or get to the home screen. It is so frustrating!

Apps Crashing:

Apps crash all the time. When I mentioned this to the guy in the Apple store, he said that it was because the developers had not updated the apps to make them compatible with iOS 5. Well Mr Apple man, I can safely say that this isn’t entirely correct. Even built in applications such as settings have been crashing, besides other apps which I know have been updated!

Connectivity:

Firstly, I’m on Vodafone UK and living in Bournemouth (South Coast of England) if that is helpful to anyone.

Making a phone call: possibly the most fundamental part of a mobile phone. Yet the iPhone doesn’t seem capable to do that properly.

If I can actually make a call without it saying “Call Failed” I tend to feel rather privileged. Signal isn’t usually the problem. Yet I still can make or receive calls or when I can, then tend to be dropped and call failed appears on the screen.

Failure to send texts and iMessages is also pretty frequent. This happens when I have plenty of signal and on Wifi. I know that I have had signal and the person has had signal when this has been happening so this should not be happening.

Poor Battery Life:

This was meant to be solved in iOS 5.0.1. Yet I am still incredibly lucky to be getting 48 hours out of the phone. I have disabled some of the location services and that did make a small improvement but really Apple, just 48 hours?

Siri:

This is another biggie. Siri: possibly the biggest selling point of the iPhone 4s. Yet however, I am lucky if I can get any sort of response from it at all. It’s not that it can understand what I am saying, it can usually do that alright. But it will constantly say things like “Sorry, I am unable to take any requests right now” or “unable to connect to the network”. And it is soooooooooo slow! I’ve found that it is actually quicker to enter my passcode, unlock the phone, open contacts, find the contact and then make the call rather than use Siri.

I’m very sorry if you have actually read to the end of this post, it has just about turned into a rant. But after spending so much on this phone, I would have expected more.

I am very interested if any else has these issued or know of any potential fixes. If I am alone, I will probably have to go back to Vodafone to get the phone & Microsim replaced.

Thanks for any help guys
grin.gif

Well.

Perform a hard reset first. Hold the sleep/wake button and the home button down at the same time until the phone cuts off and the silver apple logo appears. This should take 10 seconds.

If that doesn't help then perform a factory restore in iTunes. Make sure to do a backup before performing a factory restore!

If you use iCloud, then go to settings- general- reset- erase all contents and settings. Be sure that you have a recent iCloud backup before doing this!

Although, 48 hours of battery life is really really good. That's two whole days without a charge. I can't see how that'd be a bad thing.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Do a hard reset or restore your iPhone. I'm pretty sure you have it jailbroken; it might be something you've install recently that might be causing those actions. I had a similar problem on my iPhone with Winterboard and I removed it now my phones works better n it's not draining my battery are having random performances. But if your restore and nothing happens still. Make and appointment with Genius Bar to repair your iPhone or replace.

I have the same/similar problems and im not jailbroken..completely stock running latest iOS on both IP4 and 4s, Both phones have same issues.

hi,i've had my iphone for about 4 months with no trouble at all until 4 days ago now apps crash at random and the phone returns to the home screen,i am on o2 not jailbroke,i've done many hard resets i've even done a factory reset and it seems to be getting worse,my last option is to do a restore in itunes any help would be welcome.