What's new

Email not working...anyone else had this issue?

Reaction score
Ok, so I have 2 email accounts set up on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1. It is jailbroken but this started happening months after the jailbreak. Anyways, one email is a regular gmail account (@gmail.com) and the other is a gmail account set up through Clemson University (@g.clemson.edu). The Clemson gmail works, but the regular gmail account is giving me this message in a popup every time now:
Cannot Get Mail
The mail server "imap.gmail.com" is
not responding. Verify that you have
entered the correct account info in
Mail settings.

I've gone into my gmail account and verified that everything is setup properly, I've deleted the mail account from my phone, then done a hard restart from my phone, then added the account back and made sure all the info is correct, I've "googled" the message and tried every solution that I can find there, including some thing about going to a special website, logging into your account, and then you have to log into your account on the device you wanna you within 10 minutes to make sure that my gmail account isn't blocking the device. Nothing is working. I've done everything google has to offer other than a complete factory restore, however I REALLY don't wanna have to go that route simply because it is a major pain in the ass, and I honestly don't think that will help anything. Is anybody else experiencing this issue any have any fresh ideas on how to fix it?

ClemsonMarshal said:
Ok, so I have 2 email accounts set up on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1. It is jailbroken but this started happening months after the jailbreak. Anyways, one email is a regular gmail account (@gmail.com) and the other is a gmail account set up through Clemson University (@g.clemson.edu). The Clemson gmail works, but the regular gmail account is giving me this message in a popup every time now:
Cannot Get Mail
The mail server "imap.gmail.com" is
not responding. Verify that you have
entered the correct account info in
Mail settings.

I've gone into my gmail account and verified that everything is setup properly, I've deleted the mail account from my phone, then done a hard restart from my phone, then added the account back and made sure all the info is correct, I've "googled" the message and tried every solution that I can find there, including some thing about going to a special website, logging into your account, and then you have to log into your account on the device you wanna you within 10 minutes to make sure that my gmail account isn't blocking the device. Nothing is working. I've done everything google has to offer other than a complete factory restore, however I REALLY don't wanna have to go that route simply because it is a major pain in the ass, and I honestly don't think that will help anything. Is anybody else experiencing this issue any have any fresh ideas on how to fix it?

Bump nobody?

it's not you, it's Google. See this [news] link for details: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57491386-93/google-working-on-gmail-issues-for-apple-users/

All you can do is wait and use the workarounds suggested by Google.

Marilyn

P.S. And please, for next time - do remember that our rules require 48 hours to pass without a reply before you "bump" a post. This is an international, 24-hour forum. So, you've got to give time for everyone to see/read your posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Mickey330 said:
it's not you, it's Google. See this [news] link for details: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57491386-93/google-working-on-gmail-issues-for-apple-users/

Marilyn

P.S. And please, for next time - do remember that our rules require 48 hours to pass without a reply before you "bump" a post. This is an international, 24-hour forum. So, you've got to give time for everyone to see/read your posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks for the info. Will remember that next time. I just came from a Ford Trucks forum where people usually answer within 5 minutes so I guess I'm just spoiled to that.

Mickey330 said:

Marilyn

Not sure if it's working again for everyone else but my email just randomly started back working some time over night.

Yeah man I've had the same issue , posted it on here and got the same response you did lol so there's nothing we can do I'm preery sure but hope gmail fixes this annoyance

rarebreed said:
Yeah man I've had the same issue , posted it on here and got the same response you did lol so there's nothing we can do I'm preery sure but hope gmail fixes this annoyance

I thought they had fixed it because mine started back working just 2 nights ago.