What's new

Have a tricky issue

Deekaya

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am hoping that someone here can help me. I recently received a new iPhone 5 from work and I want to give my 4s to my son. The only problem is that I have to have all of my calls forwarded to my new iPhone What is this means is that he cannot receive any phone calls on my old phone. He can make calls but not receive them. I tried Google voice but you need an actual phone to connect it to so I could not use my old phone again since it forwards to my new phone.

I am at my wit's end and don't know what to do. I did a search for a third party app that would provide a new phone number. There were two: one that costs $20 a year but the company looks sketchy so I skipped on that one. The second one charges ten bucks a month.

I know there has to be a way to do this....HELP!!! :iphone4vert:

You might be making this harder than is needed. The iPhone 5 should have been setup with the 4S' phone number. This means the 4S is now inactive and does not have a phone number associated with it. Unless your company did something batty. At this point you simply have to activate the 4S on your personal cellular plan as a new line and you are done. Otherwise the 4S is simply an iPod Touch with only WiFi service.

Thank you for your reply. Here is the thing, the iPhone 5 is a work phone given to me by my employer and they supplied me with a new number, unlimited data plan, etc. They paid for this phone and will pay the monthly charges. If I had moved my old number to this new phone then I would have to open up a new line with AT&T which they would love since I would lose my unlimited data plan. I can't touch that line in fear of losing my unlimited data plan...

Ah there is the issue. Sorry, I can't recommend a way around that. Hopefully someone with more knowledge with AT&T service can chime in.

GV does not work, since you need an actual phone to receive calls on and they get forwarded to my phone. This was the first thing I tried..

I wouldn't trust the sites that offer a new number at a monthly cost. Chances are they're piggybacking a carrier and if the carrier finds out, you're in the same heap load of shizzle as the piggybacker for buying the service. This is actually one of the original problems of upgrading phones to the 5. The only thing that might work is if you can convince your company to sub in the number that you want to have on your 5 in place of the company number. I did the same on my corporate phone the first time around before I got my own 4S and they were willing to do it for me. Because to them, they're mentality is that they're paying for your personal phone, but on the plus side of them switching to your number, they won't have to pay the fee to keep the number open.

Last edited:
I thought about that but then if they take my old number AT&T will close out my phone and I will lose the unlimited data plan on that line right?

They can swap them around. The only thing that's changing is the number that's displayed with the "features" of that line, not the "features" themselves.

Hmmm...this may be my only choice but then when I separate with the company they will own my old phone number!

No. It's like the BYOP policy that most unlimited everything carriers have. You bring your own phone, they provide you the service. You can argue that you feel more comfortable with your own phone than the company provided iphone

But when I try to delete my phone number it says "
Your account must contain at least one physical forwarding phone
I don't need a forwarding phone number but it does not seem to let me remove it...am I doing something wrong?

I re-read this a few times. I understand what you are saying but how can I "call" if I don't select a forwarding number then the calls so straight to his GV voice mail. The only way for him to be able to pick up the phone is to have it forward to a real phone number. I know you can make calls using GV but receiving calls???

Or if you're ont looking to get your son a call and/or text only, you can start it up on a dummy phone, and transfer your line and features for HIS line onto the iPhone through the carrier website.