What's new

iPhone XS have issues with everything

Kevin Barnes

Reaction score
So this has happened to one of my friends. He had to answer a call when he was in the pool. There might be a chance that it hit by a splash of water. It has to be waterproof for some point right? But after that, he got all kind of issues with face ID, ring tones and touch sensitivity. Is there any way to fix this?

It’s highly water resistant, but not waterproof. No phone is completely waterproof. You’ll find weak points in any system.

He should have turned it off completely, and let it dry for a few days.

Since this is a new device and still under warranty, he should visit the next Apple store and let them take a look at it. The water might have damaged something inside, and even though Apple’s warranty doesn’t cover water damage, they might replace it for a reasonable price.

Like said tell him to turn it off ASAP and place it into a bowl of rice. The rice will help to pull any moisture out of it. If it still has issues, call apple and see what they will do for you. As said also, liquid damage most likely will not be covered even under warranty. Just a heads up. Best to leave the phone away from water!! Get out of the pool to use it or let it go to voicemail. Just being honest.

Rice doesn’t really absorb moisture. Additionally, dust or pieces of rice get stuck in the headphone jack (if existent) or charging port.

The best material is silica gel.

Last edited:
The iPhone XS has IP68 rating which is more than enough to prevent water damage from a splash or full immersion for up to 30 minutes at 2 Metres.

The iPhone XS has IP68 rating which is more than enough to prevent water damage from a splash or full immersion for up to 30 minutes at 2 Metres.

Right? that's the problem. It should have enough resistance to a splash of water. But seems like it doesn't. However, we have to pay to fix this right? because apple does not cover the water damage.

Like said tell him to turn it off ASAP and place it into a bowl of rice. The rice will help to pull any moisture out of it. If it still has issues, call apple and see what they will do for you. As said also, liquid damage most likely will not be covered even under warranty. Just a heads up. Best to leave the phone away from water!! Get out of the pool to use it or let it go to voicemail. Just being honest.

actually, he did that. but still, the problem was not solved.

As already suggested, take the iPhone to an Apple Store Genius Bar for a free diagnostic. Its highly unlikely that a simple splash of water could cause the multiple problems with that iPhone.
You can’t insist that the splash caused the problems without having a diagnostic done.

Last edited:
And, if a splash did cause it something internal wasn't built correctly, or the phone was opened and improperly resealed - both of which Apple should cover (assuming you've never had it opened)

Be honest. It was more than just a splash. Don’t lie to yourself.

Nope.

Apple found water damage and refused to repair mine, they said the warranty is invalid if there is water damage.

I don’t think they even opened it up as there is a water sensor inside the sim slot which clearly isn’t water tight.

My fault was there before I answered mind with wet hands, this is just a cop out used to get around the warranty.