What's new

My iPhone XS Max Review

Junior

Reaction score
Received my iPhone XS Max on Friday (Sep 21) and right away I noticed a few things. Here's a quick recap of praises and some gripes. I had to buy the phone outright as my carrier options were bunk so I didn't opt for a hardware contract. Full shebang for me.

First off, right off the bat, I like the weight of this one. Physically, identical to the iPhone 7 Plus I was leaving behind. But I was bothered without a case. The camera protrudes so far from the back side, that when laying it flat on any surface, there was tap (Like when you lay a table down on an un-even floor) You get that annoying rocking tap sound. So right away, I went out and purchased an Apple Leather case. Form fitted really nicely and now makes the back side completely flush ... but the $79 CDN was heavy and made my wallet cry, but anyway moving on.

The screen size is great, edge to edge - sure, kinda, but not really. There's still a bit of a black "lip" all around the screen, and maybe that's what should have been expected, but all the hype about this on being an edge to edge screen, I started thinking it was going to go right off and over the edge, but meh. It doesn't and IF the X R has an even fatter lip all around ... wow, that sucks for those guys. I wouldn't buy that one.

About a week in now, the notch doesn't bug me at all. In fact, when I go back to my iPhone 7 Plus occasionally to do the odd thing, the physical button and smaller screen already feel dated. I already can't see myself going back to using a phone with a physical home button. It happened THAT quick.

I enjoy the speed of the Face ID and the gestures with no physical home button make navigating the phone so much easier and fluid, so great job there.

As far of the rest of the stuff, I need more time to go through it all. I really enjoy taking pictures and the added strength of all cameras is - so far, so good.

My gripes are mainly focused around the software and iOS.

I understand that real estate on the screen around the notch is limited, but not being able to see battery percentage until you load the notifications, or the non-use of a landscape mode, like my iPhone Plus before it. Then there's the lack of making use of the larger screen... I mean in portrait mode, there's more than enough room for ANOTHER entire row of icons on the spring board screen...

I feel like the iOS isn't yet optimized to make the most use out of the larger screen. Almost feel like a rushed software release.

I know these are all first world problems, and I'll update as I go, but figured I needed to rant somewhere. Dafuq Apple?

Attachments

• IMG_4495.jpg
    IMG_4495.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 874
Last edited:
I also paid up front for my new iPhone8Plus just did not want to pay $1000 even $700 i paid was to much i feel, also bought an apple case just the silicone $40 dollar one, did buy a Samsung wireless charger $80at sprint store where i bought the phone wanted it in hand to see how it worked i liked it so much i ordered ordered another one from amazon $67 dollars.
I don't mind the button and i don't use a pass word never used on on any past phones.
Main problem was Apple forced me to reset my password and this was a real project, needed my Mac to get it done and then ever App. needed to have password used a real time dealing item.
Screen is great and phone beats my old trusty iPhone6, sure not a class act as the new iPhonex but around $300 dollars less.

So yesterday I learned that Apple doesn't provide the rapid charger in the box and I could get myself a rapid charging brick from Apple. (It's not called a rapid charger, but it does what the name says)

I managed to use the USB-C to Lightining cable I purchased years ago so that I could connect my iPhone directly to my new MacBook, but that same 1m Apple cable and the 30w Apple adaptor actually does rapid charge on my iPhone XS Max.

Well, let me be completely clear. It gets from about 10% to ~55% in 30 mins and then takes twice as long to get the rest of the way, right up until 100. For anyone not sure what adaptor and cable I'm talking about, check this out.

30W USB-C Power Adapter

USB-C to Lightning Cable (1 m)

So yesterday I learned that Apple doesn't provide the rapid charger in the box and I could get myself a rapid charging brick from Apple. (It's not called a rapid charger, but it does what the name says)

I managed to use the USB-C to Lightining cable I purchased years ago so that I could connect my iPhone directly to my new MacBook, but that same 1m Apple cable and the 30w Apple adaptor actually does rapid charge on my iPhone XS Max.

Well, let me be completely clear. It gets from about 10% to ~55% in 30 mins and then takes twice as long to get the rest of the way, right up until 100. For anyone not sure what adaptor and cable I'm talking about, check this out.

30W USB-C Power Adapter

USB-C to Lightning Cable (1 m)
What i like about my Samsung wireless charger i don't need any cable to plug into any Mac., i just lay my phone on the charger and it quickly charges to 100%

What i like about my Samsung wireless charger i don't need any cable to plug into any Mac., i just lay my phone on the charger and it quickly charges to 100%
That's great.

The wireless charging on the iPhone isn't as fast a tethered. As long as you're not in a rush for a charge, wireless would also get the job done.

Junior, your review is spot on! My Xs Max had an original ship date of 9/28-10/3, it actually arrived 9/21! I’m guessing with the cost of these new phones the demand is down.
Coming from a 7plus I was surprised how fast I got used to the new gestures with the absence of a home button. Face id is so fast, absolutely love it!
So far I really like the Xs Max, glad I took the leap!

Junior, your review is spot on! My Xs Max had an original ship date of 9/28-10/3, it actually arrived 9/21! I’m guessing with the cost of these new phones the demand is down.
Coming from a 7plus I was surprised how fast I got used to the new gestures with the absence of a home button. Face id is so fast, absolutely love it!
So far I really like the Xs Max, glad I took the leap!
Maybe they got smart this year and had more ready for the release date and the weeks after.