What's new

iPhone Tips & Tricks

Great thread - gets the juices flowin', so thanks all who contributed.

A couple of things I have recently learned:

Was at an Apple store a few weeks ago as my original iPad was running SUPER slow. One of the store “genius” folks told me you should turn off your idevice for at least five minutes at least once a week. He explained to me that I should think of it as a car engine or computer – you need to shut if off completely for the engine to stop idling – kind of like a virtual deep breath. Made sense to me and did help a bit with speed.

Also more of a question: When you open the camera from the lock screen if you are running latest ios, it shows tabs for video and picture files separately – but only ones you shoot AFTER you open the camera from the lock screen in this manner, nothing in your photographic history. Anyone know how this could be toggled on when you unlock the phone correctly and open your photo/video app?

Not sure if this tip was said as I didn't go through all 10 pages.

If you use PassLock and someone puts in a code too many times, it will lock your phone out. Open iTunes on your computer. Hold your sleep button before plugging in the USB, this will let iTunes know it needs to be restored and you will be able to unlock the phone. NOTE: This will reset the phone which is why its important to keep your phone backed up on iTunes.

I am having trouble killing an app. I can get as far as tapping the - sign, but as soon as I use an open app. the killed ones reappears

Julie1948 said:
I am having trouble killing an app. I can get as far as tapping the - sign, but as soon as I use an open app. the killed ones reappears

As posted by one of our iOS developers: The list of apps you see in the task manager (double press home button) is a list of previously used apps, this is not a list if running apps. It's best to simply let the system manage hinge on its own.

Zig9449 thanks for mentioning about the inbuilt dictionary, that's a useful tool I didn't know I had, brilliant 😃

Each time I add an emoticon from my keyboard it translates into a code like 'ddeo3', I see other posts with emoticons, how do I add these?

Each time I add an emoticon from my keyboard it translates into a code like 'ddeo3', I see other posts with emoticons, how do I add these?

Settings> General>keyboard>Keyboards>Add new keyboard. Choose Emoji and now you will have a new icon on the bottom row of your input screen next to 123

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Generally speaking, only other iOS devices can read the emojis made by your iPhone. I think maybe Macs can, also, but I don't have a Mac to test. So, if you are looking at posts, emails, messages, etc. that we're created by an iDevice, only other iDevices can "see" the actual emoji. All others will see the coding.

Marilyn

Mickey - I thought that was the case, too but my son recently downloaded Emoji on his Android and they work when we text each other. I have the 4S and he has a Samsung. That said, he's rooted and is kind of a super-geek, so maybe he found a work-around. lol His girlfriend (he's 24) has an iOS device, so I'm sure that's why he broke down and downloaded the Emoji, as he is NOT a fan of smiley faces and such. :p

RE:Screen cap. I couldn't get it to work. Every time hold home button down I get Seri. I do have a pic of my fully charged batteries on my camera roll. I always wondered how it got there.

Last edited:
RE:Screen cap. I couldn't get it to work. Every time hold home button down I get Seri. I do have a pic of my fully charged batteries on my camera roll. I always wondered how it got there.

If you get Siri while trying to take a screenshot, you are holding the Home button too long or are not pressing the Home and Sleep buttons at the same time (or both).

It takes practice, but it's a quick, simultaneous press of both buttons that creates the screenshot.

Marilyn

I got it. Twice I shut down the phone on the 3rd try I simultaneously pressed both buttons for an instant. When I let up I actually herd the shudder click. I had taken a pic of my home page. Thanks for the reply and clarification of the TIP.