What's new

iPhone Tips & Tricks

CharlieYoung said:
Is there an app that I should leave running or I can close all of them when i double press the home button

No. The apps that need to be running cannot be quitted. (hehe...."quitted").

Mail, iPod and Phone. Even if you remove them from the switcher, they are still running.

You can quit these if your jailbroken tho (not really, more like temporarily pause those processes). But it's nothing to even worry about. Just keep most apps quitted to conserve RAM. They have no effect on battery or anything like that. If RAM is low, quit all your apps.

I use:
MultiCleaner
Multifl0w
Backgrounder.

In the MultiCleaner app in "Activator Triggers" I set

Quit All Apps: tap and hold status bar.

Quit Current App: double tap status bar

Minimize App: nothing. I just use single tap the button. But if you have CallBar installed do not assign any action to "Single Press Home Button". It will make CallBar close whatever your doing interrupting you when a call come in.

In Backgrounder I have slide up from bottom-left to toggle it while I'm an app. (if you plan on doing this I would use Activator version 1.5.8. Not the current version 1.6.1. The slide in gestures are broken in that version, and Ryan refuses to fix it. He tried telling me he changed that behavior to prevent that from happening, and that not all apps are compatible.lol. Well....they were all compatible before. I don't get it. I fixed something that wasn't broke...now it's a pain using slide in gestures with 1.6.1)

So I use the previous version of Activator as the slide gestures don't activate any buttons that may be in the way while sliding up like Activator 1.6.1 does.

And i use slide up from bottom right to activate the switcher. I need that action.lol.

And Multifl0w. Well it's just nice to have when switching between apps. Like if I just need to read a line of something in another app while comparing it to a page in another app.

Last edited:
Doesn't work for me. When I do it, the microphone appears then I get prompted to Slide to turn off....what am I doing wrong?

it does take a bit of practice. I have found the best method for me: Quickly press the Sleep and the Home buttons at the same time. And, it's not a hold press, it's more the kind of press you would give if you were closing an app or putting the phone to sleep. The key is - get the timing to get them d*pressed simultaneously.

Marilyn

You know.. after seeing this thread and just the overall quality of this device.. I have to get the 4S now.. sorry Razr Maxx.

This thread is brilliant btw.

hmm seems helpful. ill try it later when i get home with my iphone and see what happens. well if i remember

it does take a bit of practice. I have found the best method for me: Quickly press the Sleep and the Home buttons at the same time. And, it's not a hold press, it's more the kind of press you would give if you were closing an app or putting the phone to sleep. The key is - get the timing to get them d*pressed simultaneously.

Marilyn
I can just hold the sleep button and then the home and you'll see the screen flash, there was no real trick to it other than reversing what was in the original post as I was getting siri wanting to help me out:p

this is an ask ;).

i know you can set up speed dials on the iPhones, but can you set up speed text's?

while i could phone the wife never keeps here phone to hand, then if i leave a message she see's the missed call and calls me back, not listens to the voice mail. grrr!

my working hours are erratic, so i want to let the wife know when i expect to be home so she can start in dinner - get my slippers warm and so on lol! that i'll be home in 30, 45 or working late, by simply pressing a screen short cut.

i'm not jail broken, i will likely divorce the wife and so become finically destitute before ever going jail broken, so any ideas?

crowd pleaser said:
this is an ask ;).

i know you can set up speed dials on the iPhones, but can you set up speed text's?

while i could phone the wife never keeps here phone to hand, then if i leave a message she see's the missed call and calls me back, not listens to the voice mail. grrr!

my working hours are erratic, so i want to let the wife know when i expect to be home so she can start in dinner - get my slippers warm and so on lol! that i'll be home in 30, 45 or working late, by simply pressing a screen short cut.

i'm not jail broken, i will likely divorce the wife and so become finically destitute before ever going jail broken, so any ideas?

Ate you jailbroken?

You can do this if your jailbroken.

Zig - he specifically stated at the end of his post that he is not jail broken... :)

The only thing I can find for a stock phone is the ability to add a shortcut to the springboard that, when pressed, will open the texting app with the person's data filled in. It's all ready for you to type your text and send. I don't believe there is one that has everything, to include your message. Sorry.

Marilyn

Mickey330 said:
Zig - he specifically stated at the end of his post that he is not jail broken... :)

The only thing I can find for a stock phone is the ability to add a shortcut to the springboard that, when pressed, will open the texting app with the person's data filled in. It's all ready for you to type your text and send. I don't believe there is one that has everything, to include your message. Sorry.

Marilyn

My bad.

Cannot see straight yet. Just woke up.

Mickey330 said:

Marilyn

thanks Marilyn,
thanks too Zig, i've done that myself lol!

what i hoped there was something like on a nokia n95, it had pre-defined texts templates you could customise.

i would think be a very popular app if it were wrote for stock phones, not just for hen pecked husbands like me but if you think of parents collecting kids, business people etc. big potential market for a 'simple' aid.

cp

You can create keyboard shortcuts.
Settings>General>Keyboard>Shortcuts

Just type in a few letters to represent a sentence. For example, I have the first three letters of my email address and also these: hif=home in five minutes, hit=home in ten minutes, omw=on my way, wth=what time home etc.
When you type these letters in a text field it will insert the whole sentence. I find it ever so helpful especially with email addresses.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
That seems a good option, i will have to make sure not use Shi5 (should be in by 5) in case i ever need 'should be in by 10' ;).

Ooops!
CP

A very helpful thread, indeed! Thanks to all!

As a noob, one of my favorite tips/tricks is the ability to shake the phone if I mess up while typing a text.
:)

My favorite is the built in Dictionary.

Highlight a word..tap "Define"......BAM.....defined.lol