What's new

iPhone SE " Shutting Off"

I have had several iPhones replaced over the years by Apple. They were all refurbished and all perfect in functioning. So much so that when I recently purchased an IPad Air 2 I bought it from Apple and it was a refurbished one so I saved some money on the price. The only difference you will notice is a change in the serial number so I would not worry. A product refurbished by Apple (not by a reseller) is as good as new.
I guess my issue with all this is my phone will be 30 days old on Monday when I go into the Apple Store for a repair visit. I paid $425 including tax for a new phone. It just doesn't sit right with me that after a short period I'm gonna be handed back a used phone. I would think most people would feel that way about anything in life they purchase and have problems with. If I knew I could have bought a refurbished iPhone SE from Apple to begin with I would have. I have owned 3 iPhones in my life a 3G, 4S and now the SE. The SE is the first brand new iPhone I've owned though. The other 2 were 2nd hand phones and I still have them and have never had issues with either. Hopefully it all works out in the end.

Old phone with no problems, new case, new battery, new motherboard.. Trust me, you won't notice anything and if it was another brand, they would have you wait until they could repair your phone. Check previous posts about Apple's repair/replacement policy (look under AppleCare or AppleCare +) in this or other forums. I predict you will see few, if any, not pleased. And, as noted, you can not purchase an Apple refurbished iPhone, only other Apple Products. I would not want an Apple product refurbished by anyone but Apple.

Old phone with no problems, new case, new battery, new motherboard.. Trust me, you won't notice anything and if it was another brand, they would have you wait until they could repair your phone. Check previous posts about Apple's repair/replacement policy (look under AppleCare or AppleCare +) in this or other forums. I predict you will see few, if any, not pleased. And, as noted, you can not purchase an Apple refurbished iPhone, only other Apple Products. I would not want an Apple product refurbished by anyone but Apple.
Thanks for the information and the help...I hope they have a replacement phone to give me since the iPhone SE has had such a shortage. I tried for 2 months catching one in stock at the Pittsburgh Apple Store and finally did on 6/11/2016. The crazy thing during the 2 months I was trying to obtain a iPhone SE I contacted Apple & At&t several times and the delivery dates kept getting pushed further and further back. I can remember having the thought " I hope Apple doesn't get in a big hurry trying to push these phones out..My luck I would end up getting a dud".......Go figure. I live a few hours away from any Apple Store so running back and fourth would be time consuming so I hope we can resolve this Monday. This could have not happened at a worse time for me in we are leaving on vacation next week also. I am sure I am stressing way to much over this and it will all work out. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the information and the help...I hope they have a replacement phone to give me since the iPhone SE has had such a shortage. I tried for 2 months catching one in stock at the Pittsburgh Apple Store and finally did on 6/11/2016. The crazy thing during the 2 months I was trying to obtain a iPhone SE I contacted Apple & At&t several times and the delivery dates kept getting pushed further and further back. I can remember having the thought " I hope Apple doesn't get in a big hurry trying to push these phones out..My luck I would end up getting a dud".......Go figure. I live a few hours away from any Apple Store so running back and fourth would be time consuming so I hope we can resolve this Monday. This could have not happened at a worse time for me in we are leaving on vacation next week also. I am sure I am stressing way to much over this and it will all work out. Thanks for the help.

Just to let everyone know ...The Apple Store replaced my phone at my visit today. My phone was actually working when I went into the Apple Store for repair but shortly after it bricked and they replaced.

Just to let everyone know ...The Apple Store replaced my phone at my visit today. My phone was actually working when I went into the Apple Store for repair but shortly after it bricked and they replaced.
Apple is usually quick like that, if the Genius Bar can't fix it right away while you wait, you'll get a replacement iPhone. Some repairs such as screen and battery replacement they can do right in the store. If it's a motherboard issue, it normally means a replacement iPhone.

Apple is usually quick like that, if the Genius Bar can't fix it right away while you wait, you'll get a replacement iPhone. Some repairs such as screen and battery replacement they can do right in the store. If it's a motherboard issue, it normally means a replacement iPhone.
I was glad it actually bricked in front of them. It made for a lot less explaining. I would be lying though if I said I was 100% satisfied in my heart over this. I know many have explained that a refurbished phone is actually better because everything has been checked out. I don't think any member on here would buy a used car at a brand new price just because a company said they went back through it. To me there is something lost in paying full price for something used however long that period may have been. Not to mention the problems and lost time dealing with things like this. Sorry but that's how I feel......Once again thanks to everyone's input on this matter.

Just fyi:
You don't pay the full price for a refurbished Apple device. They are cheaper than a new device.

Just fyi:
You don't pay the full price for a refurbished Apple device. They are cheaper than a new device.
The post was in reference to my new iPhone SE that I purchased new 3 weeks ago. The new iPhone SE was bought at full price $399 plus tax. After it failed after 3 weeks they replaced it with a refurbished iPhone. So in the end I ended up paying full price for a refurbished phone.

Did they tell you it's refurbished?

My colleague's iPhone 6 (5 or 6 months old) fell into the water. She made a call afterwards, before it shut off. I told her to contact Apple, which she did. She sent her device to them (there's no Apple Retail Store in Austria), and they examined it. There was nothing they could do, so they gave her a brand new one (not refurbished).

Last edited:
Did they tell you it's refurbished?

My colleague's iPhone 6 (5 or 6 months old) fell into the water. She made a call afterwards, before it shut off. I told her to contact Apple, which she did. She sent her device to them (there's no Apple Retail Store in Austria), and they examined it. There was nothing they could do, so they gave her a brand new one (not refurbished).
The young man working at Apple never came right out and said " refurbished". After my original phone bricked in front of him he said " Hang on and we will get you another phone". He then proceeded behind the counter where there were a few drawers of iPhones in small white boxes ( It was a generic looking box with only a phone in it).... This being my first " New iPhone " I wasn't sure where I stood about replacement policy. I just assumed it was refurbished because several others who were setting around me with other iPhone issues ( cracked glass, etc) had the same generic boxes laying near them. The iPhone I was given also didn't have the plastic on the front and back like a new phone would when you take it out of a original box.

I was glad it actually bricked in front of them. It made for a lot less explaining. I would be lying though if I said I was 100% satisfied in my heart over this. I know many have explained that a refurbished phone is actually better because everything has been checked out. I don't think any member on here would buy a used car at a brand new price just because a company said they went back through it. To me there is something lost in paying full price for something used however long that period may have been. Not to mention the problems and lost time dealing with things like this. Sorry but that's how I feel......Once again thanks to everyone's input on this matter.
I agree with you on this, I really think a device that is less than 1 month old should be replaced with a brand new device off the shelf.
Years ago I bought an iPad from a store in my town (HMV) I had a problem with it after a couple of weeks or so and took it to my nearest Apple store who offered to replace it with a refurbished one, I refused and took it to HMV who replaced it with a brand new one. It was lucky for me that I didn't buy it at Apple.

I agree however that a refurbished device from Apple will be as good as a new one but I understand where you are coming from.
Glad that you now have a working phone.

Last edited:
I agree with you on this, I really think a device that is less than 1 month old should be replaced with a brand new device off the shelf.
Years ago I bought an iPad from a store in my town (HMV) I had a problem with it after a couple of weeks or so and took it to my nearest Apple store who offered to replace it with a refurbished one, I refused and took it to HMV who replaced it with a brand new one. It was lucky for me that I didn't buy it at Apple.

I agree however that a refurbished device from Apple will be as good as a new one but I understand where you are coming from.
Glad that you now have a working phone.
Thanks.... That was my thoughts exactly. If a new unit fails at no fault of the customer in the first 90 days it should have been replaced new. I could see if someone had played a part in a new product failing ( abuse, drops, water) that Aplple could replace a newer product with a refurbished one. This being my first new purchase I wasn't sure yesterday accepting a replacement or how much of a stink I could raise in the store over it. I'm glad I have a working iPhone again but this experience will make me think twice about ever buying another new Apple product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.... That was my thoughts exactly. If a new unit fails at no fault of the customer in the first 90 days it should have been replaced new. I could see if someone had played a part in a new product failing ( abuse, drops, water) that Aplple could replace a newer product with a refurbished one. This being my first new purchase I wasn't sure yesterday accepting a replacement or how much of a stink I could raise in the store over it. I'm glad I have a working iPhone again but this experience will make me think twice about ever buying another new Apple product.
I think that your experience wasn't the norm and you were very unlucky to have these problems with a new iPhone.

I can think of two stores here in the UK that will replace any phones that are faulty within the first 30 days with a brand new phone.
I wish Apple would rethink their policy on this as I would not be too happy to receive a refurbished device within 30 days either.

Having said that I hope you will have no more problems and stick with iPhone in the future....

Last edited: