What's new

iPhone SE " Shutting Off"

GovtMule66

Reaction score
I purchased my iPhone SE 16 GB on 6/11/2016 from the Apple Store. I have no apps, no pictures & no music downloaded to my phone. I am currently running ios 9.3.2 on the phone also. I hadn't had any issues with my new phone until 7/4/2016 when my phone completely shut down on it's own. My phone was at almost full charge when this happened and was not being used. My iPhone would not turn back on by pressing the on/off button but did come back on after pressing both the home button & on/off button at the same time. I thought maybe I had downloaded something corrupt during the initial setup so I restored my iPhone to "As New" hoping it would fix the problem however it did not. After restoring my phone it shut off on it's own about a hour later and as I write this has happened twice more. I contacted Apple on 7/5/2016 and they ran the diagnostic test and could see my issues but didn't have a answer to my problems. They suggested mailing it in or visiting a Apple store....... The problem I have is I live 4 hrs away from a Apple Store so I had to set up a visit in Pittsburgh next week. After spending $425.00 on this iPhone it's frustrating to already have problems after 3 weeks. Has anyone else ran across a issue with iPhone just shutting off for no reason ? My iPhone SE does not get hot or present any problem that might be causing this issue. Thanks for any feed back

Having an iPhone fail so soon after purchase is frustrating but fortunately it doesn't happen very often. All you can do right now is wait and see what Apple does when you visit the Apple Store. You should get a warranty replacement if they can't fix your iPhone in a timely manner. Make sure to back up the iPhone if you can, just before leaving for the Apple Store as even if they repair and return your iphoneit will be erased when you get it back.

Having an iPhone fail so soon after purchase is frustrating but fortunately it doesn't happen very often. All you can do right now is wait and see what Apple does when you visit the Apple Store. You should get a warranty replacement if they can't fix your iPhone in a timely manner. Make sure to back up the iPhone if you can, just before leaving for the Apple Store as even if they repair and return your iphoneit will be erased when you get it back.
Thanks scifan57 for our quick reply.. I hope Apple can resolve my issue during my visit since I don't live near any Apple stores and a return visit would be a headache. I am not sure what they can actually do at the store as far as downloading anything they we couldn't do at home. After Apple running the diagnostic test and not having a answer I don't feel real confident in this being repaired. I may be completely wrong about that though.. My fear is if they choose to replace it is having one in stock. I waited 2 months to get this iPhone SE. Have a nice day !!!

Thanks scifan57 for our quick reply.. I hope Apple can resolve my issue during my visit since I don't live near any Apple stores and a return visit would be a headache. I am not sure what they can actually do at the store as far as downloading anything they we couldn't do at home. After Apple running the diagnostic test and not having a answer I don't feel real confident in this being repaired. I may be completely wrong about that though.. My fear is if they choose to replace it is having one in stock. I waited 2 months to get this iPhone SE. Have a nice day !!!
Good luck, Let us know the outcome.

The best thing would be a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best thing would be a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right now that is my only option on Monday. I was hoping a fix or trick was out there but none have surfaced. It was shutting down once a day but now it's every time I lay it down it shuts itself off. Thanks for the input.

Your issue has my curiosity. Are you saying the phone works perfectly while it is in an upright position but the moment you lay it down flat it shuts instantly off?

It shuts down whenever I put it down and won't turn back on by pressing the on/off button. You have to hold down the on/off plus the home button for 10-15 seconds. It works fine as long as your using it but within minutes of going idle its bricked. My phone has been babied since I got it. I have yet to take it out of the house so it's not from neglect. It worked great from 6/11 till 7/3 and the issue just started out of the blue. I went to pick it up and use it and it wouldn't wake up or turn on normally.

So many questions.... You'll have to excuse me, I find issues like this very interesting.

When you put it down, does it have to be screen up, down or it doesn't matter?

When you hold it upright, does it "brick" when the system auto locks it, when you press the sleep/power button or either condition?

So many questions.... You'll have to excuse me, I find issues like this very interesting.

When you put it down, does it have to be screen up, down or it doesn't matter?

When you hold it upright, does it "brick" when the system auto locks it, when you press the sleep/power button or either condition?
I haven't really paid that much attention but I know I have had it fail after laying it face down and face up. I normally just lay it down and walk away. I haven't actually had it brick while I was holding it. I know this sounds crazy but believe me it's frustrating to have a new iPhone do this. My biggest fear is missing calls, texts, etc when it happens. I downloaded ITunes on another computer tonight and restored it again. I am actually on it now and it's worked great since 6 pm. That includes laying it down... It's woke up each time I have went back to it. I am praying that the other iOS 9.3.2 was maybe corrupt. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will post tomorrow what happens.

UPDATE: iPhone had bricked by 3 am after posting above. After restoring my iPhone SE yesterday it lasted 9 hrs before shutting down. Now this morning after forcing it to restart it won't last 30 minutes before bricking. As I stated in my first post I have a appointment 7/11/2016 with Apple to hopefully resolve my problems. Thanks to all for your input.

Has anyone ever returned a new iPhone and been issued another? Do they give you a new phone or a refurbished one? Thanks.

Last edited:
A replacement iPhone could be either new or refurbished. Functionally and cosmetically there is no difference between a new or refurbished iPhone.

Based on what you have described, the odds are there is an electrical connection that is loose and causing the main motherboard to either short or simply lose power.

As for new vs refurbished, 99% of the time there truly is no difference. The 1% there is, you will know it quick and you can return it for another phone. Personally my guess is you will not get a refurb on a phone that has been in such short supply. Doubt there have been a lot of returns.

I have had several iPhones replaced over the years by Apple. They were all refurbished and all perfect in functioning. So much so that when I recently purchased an IPad Air 2 I bought it from Apple and it was a refurbished one so I saved some money on the price. The only difference you will notice is a change in the serial number so I would not worry. A product refurbished by Apple (not by a reseller) is as good as new.

It almost makes sense to buy a refurb when it comes to Apple products, because you'll end up getting a device that has already be repaired of all faults, not a device that came off an assembly line and has a chance of being good or DOA.

If you're not picky about packaging too though. Some people are vocal about how they want retail packaging. If not, save yourself a few points and go refurb (from Apple).

The only product not offered to the public as a refurbished item is the iPhone. The only way to get a refurbished iPhone is as a service replacement.