What's new

iPhone memory

robbieminty

Reaction score
My phone memory seems to be filled with documents and data , but when I check all my apps and email there pretty small . When pulled to ITunes it says I have over 10gb data and doc .
I have no files in photos and vids so what is causing this and how can I clear it away ?

Thanks in anticipation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to iPhone Forums, robbieminty!

Try the following:
Clear history and website data in Settings - Safari. In Safari, remove items you don't need any more from your reading list.
Remove your email accounts from the iPhone and install them again. Files opened on the iPhone through the mail app need your storage. When you remove the accounts, you set free some of it.
If possible, and you won't lose data by doing so, also remove some of your apps and install them again.
A force restart will free up some of the space as well: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it appears, let go of both. Your iPhone will power up on it's own.

If that doesn't help significantly, take a look at your iPhone's storage when it's connected to iTunes. It you see a storage called "Other" (orange colour), and it's more than 2 GB, then you should restore your device.
Make sure there's a most recent backup, then connect your iPhone to iTunes and restore it. If there's still too much of your Other storage, backup your iPhone via iCloud, erase it (Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings) and set it up with your iCloud backup.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Cheers much appreciated , I have done all of these short of a full install again . May have to go down that route .

JA --- yes that done the trick , seems to have been carrying some "ghost " data so a back up and restore cleared out 9gb of space