What's new

Encrypted backup took 3 hours to backup: Normal?

APX7000

Reaction score
iPhone 6 - 64 gig space grey...

iPhone was 32 gigs full, so I deleted a bunch of photos and unused apps. Downloaded the rest of photos I wanted to keep. I was able to bring down my memory to 26 gigs.

I went to perform a backup and decided to encrypt the backup (my brother said to do it to save health data and other sensitive data). So I did use encryption for this back up.

The backup took 3 hours!!!! Is this normal when using the encryption backup?

When I went to restore the iPhone from this encrypted backup, it took maybe 1 hour.

Is it normal when you choose to use the encrypted backup option for it it take 3 hours for 26 gigs? I never remember a backup (non encrypted) taking this long even when the iPhone had more memory space used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three hours does seem excessive. Earlier today I did an encrypted backup of my iPhone before taking it in for service. The backup took less than 2 minutes to finish. This was likely because all the content on my iPhone was already on my MacBook Pro.

If you've never backed up to iTunes before, the first backup will take a while.

I've backed up maybe a month ago, but did NOT use encryption. This time I used encryption. Maybe that's why?

I don't need to use encryption because I don't use health and other things encryption backs up. I thought by the time the back up was done, the signing window for 9.3.3 would stop[emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk