What's new

iPhone Hit By 2011 Alarm Bug

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone.jpg

Happy New Year, and welcome to the first bug of the year! Engadget reports today on a problem that many of their readers have sent in that stops one-off alarms working on their iPhones after midnight on 1/1/2011. As Engadget points out, this is similar to the Daylight Savings Time bug seen earlier in the year, although that one also affected repeating alarm as well as single alarms.

Engadget says that until Apple comes up with an OS patch, you’ll have to work around the problem by setting a repeating alarm for when you want to be woken up, and then cancelling it once it’s woken you up. Meanwhile 9to5 Mac has discovered that the bug will actually correct itself on January 3rd, so you’ve only got to be patient and use the workaround for a couple more days. No official word from Apple as yet as to the cause, but I doubt that we'll hear from them until Monday anyway.

Source: Engadget, 9to5Mac

I have experienced that bug this morning. I was supposed to drop my son at the airport around 7AM and I set my alarm clock on my iphone to wake me up at 6AM, but the alarm did not come off at all, thank God I also had my radio alarm on which woke me up on time. You can't rely on the iphone only for your main alarm, you may get screwed.

I have experienced that bug this morning. I was supposed to drop my son at the airport around 7AM and I set my alarm clock on my iphone to wake me up at 6AM, but the alarm did not come off at all, thank God I also had my radio alarm on which woke me up on time. You can't rely on the iphone only for your main alarm, you may get screwed.

Yes it was a bug and it fixed it self as of 3 Jan it was unfortunate it affected your travel alarm.
I would not hesitate to rely on my iPhone or iPad for alarms as what happened to the iPhone can happen to any electronic phone clock or what ever. The same thing happen to me with an alarm clock when the power failed and battery was dead I almost missed a plane. We actually in Australia found out about it early as Australia is 18 hours ahead of west coast USA

Yes it was a bug and it fixed it self as of 3 Jan it was unfortunate it affected your travel alarm.
I would not hesitate to rely on my iPhone or iPad for alarms as what happened to the iPhone can happen to any electronic phone clock or what ever. The same thing happen to me with an alarm clock when the power failed and battery was dead I almost missed a plane. We actually in Australia found out about it early as Australia is 18 hours ahead of west coast USA

Hi Col

Thanks for your response. How is it up there in Brisbane, you are not swimming instead of walking aren't you? Here is Perth we have terrible hot weather since Christmas, today is hot and humid, the same temp you experience when you walk out of an airport in South East Asia. You guys in the east should be able to send up some of your excess water as we can't wait to have rain here. Cheers