What's new

iphone dropped in water

gmag16

Reaction score
last night, i was using my friend's hot tub and i was searching for a new job on my phone. i put the phone down on the edge for a second while i got ready to get out when my friend's dog (a rottweiler) jumped up on the side of the tub and shot my phone into the tub. i pulled it out right away and pulled the cover off of it. i went and got rice because i had heard people say rice can saved devices dropped in water. here's what i noticed about the phone;

the touch screen still works with no problem. the alarm sound still works too, but it seems to think the head phones are plugged in and the camera flash is stuck on (although when i finally decided to try to charge it this morning, the flash seemed to dim a little). its even charging fine as well. is there a chance my phone could recover or am i looking to spend the $169 for the insurance claim?

i heard that submerging it in white rice will dry it out

Put it in a bag of rice for some days. If you are luck enough it will work back.

thanks, last night i had it in a bowl of white rice. i have since moved it into a bag of white rice. i'm hoping for the best on this one.

In the days before iPhones, I sent my cell phone through the laundry. I said Oh Crap a few times and laid it on the shelf thinking there goes a hundred bucks. I went and bought another phone.

A number of days later, I saw the phone and checked it out of curiosity. The phone worked. I continued working until I replaced it a year or two later. I hope your phone recovers completely also.

bc

thanks, last night i had it in a bowl of white rice. i have since moved it into a bag of white rice. i'm hoping for the best on this one.

Let's hope it will dry and work fine like it use to be. Keep your fingers cross mainwhile.

I have a friend who's been extremely lucky with damaging his iPhone...

1. He drowned his Verizon iPhone 4, went to the Apple Store and they gave him a new one.

2. One week later, getting out of his car, his phone falls out and shatters. He goes to a different Apple Store (we live near Los Angeles), they give him ANOTHER free phone!

I can't imagine what else he's going to do to destroy this phone but it will be interesting to see what will happen if he goes for the hat trick.

Just saw this thread and am wondering how your phone is doing? This is my worst nightmare. phone wise. Years ago, I was out hiking with a local birdwatching group, and had my brand new digital camera. Our guide led to a stream where we were to cross via a large tree trunk. I have no balance, but was too prideful to ask for help. So off I went, got half way and landed in the stream on my butt with my camera submerged. Happily, after allowing a couple of days for it to dry, it was fine.

In regards to phones, my nephew's new droid spent the night laying out on his best friend's driveway in pouring down rain. After spending a couple days in a bowl of rice, it's about 75% operational. He's going to be replacing it.

I would try and get it replaced before they know about the water damage but if not just like the other post, submirge it in white rice so it can absorb the moisture. Godd luck

All seems fine with my phone with the exception to the camera flash. It doesn't exactly turn off all the way. It's always on (it's dim, but it's on). When I use the camera, the flash operates like normal thou. I'm actually pretty happy with that result.

I actually forgot about taking it to the apple store. I was thinking I was going to have to spend another $180 on a replacement phone thru Verizon's "insurance". Maybe I'll head over to apple one day after work for the flash and see what they say.

So I also dropped my phone in a hot tub...seems to be the same scenario as the original poster...the phone's camera light is on and will not turn off, I can send text messages and make phone calls...the touch screen is working...the only thing is that the speaker and mic are not working properly...

I can't hear anything from the speakers during phone calls, but can hear faint music from my itunes...also my mic sounds incredibly bad and perhaps damaged on the other end of the phone conversation...

Any thoughts? Much appreciated!