What's new

My phone won't turn on?

don29002

Reaction score
Before I start, let me say hello to everyone, and that this is my very first post here on the iPhone Forums website!

Now that the business is out of the way:

I've had my iPhone 4 since 23 May 2012. I've had no problems with it--besides me dropping it, and one time it accidentally fell in my tub with the water running.
Anyway, I had lost my phone for a couple of months, and I found it this morning. Now, I'm trying to charge my phone, and it won't get past the screen with the red battery flashing.
I've been trying to charge it now since 10am, and it's now 11:10am.
Disclaimer: In the back, my phone looks like it's on its way out, but it still works.

What does this mean? And is there any solution to this?

If you connect the iPhone to iTunes on your computer, does iTunes recognize the iPhone?

I agree with @Junior. That swimming lesson probably caused long term damage. Cost of repairing that would be far in excess of what the phone is worth.

You can take comfort in the fact that an iPhone 7 would probably survive the experience.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

If you connect the iPhone to iTunes on your computer, does iTunes recognize the iPhone?

I have my phone connected to my laptop, and it still has the red flashing battery sign every time I check on it. It's been 10 minutes. And, I guess because it's not on yet, iTunes doesn't recognize the phone.

I agree with @Junior. That swimming lesson probably caused long term damage. Cost of repairing that would be far in excess of what the phone is worth.

You can take comfort in the fact that an iPhone 7 would probably survive the experience.

Welcome to the forum, btw.
I find it odd that, despite the mistake I made in 2013, it still miraculously is charging somehow!

I find it odd that, despite the mistake I made in 2013, it still miraculously is charging somehow!

Water damage is not an exact science. One drop of rain in the headphone socket can be enough to kill a phone immediately. Total immersion in a pint of beer might do no apparent damage at all. But generally, liquids in electronics are going to cause corrosion at the very least, whose effects become noticeable months or even years later.

A 6 year old phone has lasted well beyond expectation. Throw in the fact that you got water damage and has been stored with no use for some time, I'd say you're better off buying something better, faster and stronger.

I mean some cars aren't even made to last that long.

A 6 year old phone has lasted well beyond expectation. Throw in the fact that you got water damage and has been stored with no use for some time, I'd say you're better off buying something better, faster and stronger.

I mean some cars aren't even made to last that long.
I actually have an iPad 4 that I got in 2015, but I need to get a new charger for it.

Is it charging right now or not? You've told us in your first post that it's not currently charging.

BTW, if your iPhone requires any repairs, the cost would be more than the iPhone 4 is currently worth. In addition, the iPhone 4 can't update further than iOS 7.1.2. If you upgrade at least to an iPhone 5, you'll be able to update to iOS 10.

I actually have an iPad 4 that I got in 2015, but I need to get a new charger for it.
Plus, I never did trade in my HTC Android phone for a new iPhone... Looking back, I realize that was a major mistake. It's just sitting [my Android].

If you're also having problems with your iPad, it would be better not to ask for help in this thread as it would make following the issue with your iPhone 4 hard to follow.

We have a sister forum that specializes in the iPad if you have problems or questions about your iPad. Apple iPad Forum

Is it charging right now or not? You've told us in your first post that it's not currently charging.

BTW, if your iPhone requires any repairs, the cost would be more than the iPhone 4 is currently worth. In addition, the iPhone 4 can't update further than iOS 7.1.2. If you upgrade at least to an iPhone 5, you'll be able to update to iOS 10.
By charging, I mean the red flashing battery sign keeps coming up every time I check on it, which is why I said charging. Plus, that is very true. I've been looking up prices for 128GB iPad 5's and iPhone 5's.
Can't afford it right now, but if I save up, possibly. My cousin was going to give me his old iPhone 6, but that never came to fruition.

Water damage is not an exact science. One drop of rain in the headphone socket can be enough to kill a phone immediately. Total immersion in a pint of beer might do no apparent damage at all. But generally, liquids in electronics are going to cause corrosion at the very least, whose effects become noticeable months or even years later.
The worst type of liquid damage often involves sugary soft drinks.

If you're also having problems with your iPad, it would be better not to ask for help in this thread as it would make following the issue with your iPhone 4 hard to follow.

We have a sister forum that specializes in the iPad if you have problems or questions about your iPad. Apple iPad Forum
I don't have any problems with my iPad, I just have to buy a new charger for it.