What's new

Iphone charged melted?

AlexJ092

Reaction score
Accidentally left my charger on while I was at work :( not sure what happened to the charger any ideas??

Attachments

• $image-1513485600.jpg
    $image-1513485600.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 398
  • $image-1444269754.jpg
    $image-1444269754.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 403
  • $image-2959623185.jpg
    $image-2959623185.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 412
After coming home from work with just 2% battery left on my iphone I went to charge it, the USB end looks like it has melted inwards and the pin connector has half disappeared with a yellow tag sticking out of the end, the rubber wiring has split and showing the silver insides? Any ideas what might have happened? Thanks

Looks like a faulty ground might be to blame. I'd check the outlet with a Voltmeter to make sure my ground was working as it should. Although, if you don't feel comfortable checking your outlet, I'd recommend hiring a professional electrician.

It could just be a faulty charger, but I'd still check the outlet. Just in case.

Voltmeters run you a few dollars at your local hardware store. It's advised that you check out your current and grounding every so often to make sure everything is running smoothly. Better to be safe than sorry.

And it also exemplifies the whole "unplug when not in use" idea. 1 it saves you electricity, 2 its for safety reasons.

Voltmeters run you a few dollars at your local hardware store. It's advised that you check out your current and grounding every so often to make sure everything is running smoothly. Better to be safe than sorry.

And it also exemplifies the whole "unplug when not in use" idea. 1 it saves you electricity, 2 its for safety reasons.

Agreed.
I've got 2 voltmeters at my house, one was $7 and the other was $25. I also have a Test light for my vehicles...
I like to check into these things for the purposes willerz2 stated.

On the bright side, you learned this with a $10-20 cable. I learned this with a $1800 rig. Yeah.... ._.

Even more important, the overheated charger and cord didn't start a fire and burn your house down.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Even more important, the overheated charger and cord didn't start a fire and burn your house down.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

I interpreted the original post as it melted AT work, as in the charger was at work. That'd be one looooooooong explanation to the boss lol

The damage to the thirty pin connector only suggests to possible ways this could have happened.

1) It was done on purpose by directly grounding the connector while connected to a non-GFI protected 15 or 30 amp outlet.

2) Your home's power feed was struck by lighting and the 30 pin connector was in very close proximity to a grounding source.

Any other explanation would fail the acid test of how electricity works in regards to the discreet components used in an Apple wall charger.