What's new

iPhone 7 overheating while charging. Should I be concerned?

suhaima

Reaction score
hello everyone,

i just got my new iPhone 7 128gb a couple of weeks back. it sure is one of the best iphone devices to date and i was loving the expereince.

however, something really weird has been happening since the past 3 to 4 days. i put it on charging before going to sleep, and when i wake up and grab my phone, it's hot, and i mean scorching hot.

i've been hearing stories about how Samsung notes have been blowing up and i'm really scared. am i overcharging my phone? if i am, will it blow up? do i need to be concerned?

i'd really appreciate a quick respons!

suhaima <3

Welcome to iPhoneForums, suhaima!

It's not possible to overcharge an Apple Device.
Is your iPhone in a case when it's charging? If so, take it off before charging. If it's not hot when you wake up, you'll know that the case was the reason for your problem.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't worry about the potential for an iPhone 7 exploding. Considering the number that have been sold and the dubious sources of reports stating that there may be a problem, I've yet to hear of, for example, any airline banning the carriage of an iPhone on a plane, unlike the Samsung Note 7.

Gizmochina is not a credible source, and the UK's Daily Express would just love to break the news of a catastrophe for Apple. Even this journalistic excrement talks around the edges of a potential problem; implying that iPhones are about to start exploding without actually saying it.

Yes, phones can become hot in use or while charging, but overheating? No. An overheated iPhone will shut down until it has cooled sufficiently. All you will see is a big yellow triangle on the screen if you attempt to turn it on in its overheated state.

I overheated my iPhone 4 when I fell asleep in my truck with the heaters running. The phone handled the situation better than I did. I was ill for a week. I later calculated that the temperature had risen to over 60°C. The phone restarted after about an hour.

Was Samsung Note 7 really banned on a plane? Oh wow!
samsung-galaxy-note-7-exploding-funny-reactions-32-57d94ef5471ba__700.jpg

I really wouldn't worry about the potential for an iPhone 7 exploding. Considering the number that have been sold and the dubious sources of reports stating that there may be a problem, I've yet to hear of, for example, any airline banning the carriage of an iPhone on a plane, unlike the Samsung Note 7.

Gizmochina is not a credible source, and the UK's Daily Express would just love to break the news of a catastrophe for Apple. Even this journalistic excrement talks around the edges of a potential problem; implying that iPhones are about to start exploding without actually saying it.

Yes, phones can become hot in use or while charging, but overheating? No. An overheated iPhone will shut down until it has cooled sufficiently. All you will see is a big yellow triangle on the screen if you attempt to turn it on in its overheated state.

I overheated my iPhone 4 when I fell asleep in my truck with the heaters running. The phone handled the situation better than I did. I was ill for a week. I later calculated that the temperature had risen to over 60°C. The phone restarted after about an hour.

OMG KevinJS!!! You fell asleep in your truck with the heater on??!!! Thank God you're okay! Please don't ever do that again!!!!!!!!!!!! *hug*

Thank you and everyone else for the explanation. I really appreciate it =)

I guess my paranoia has been getting the better of me lately. You can't really blame me for becoming so concerned, considering the amount of Note 7 horror stories doing rounds on the web late.

I sure am glad i placed my faith in an iPhone =D

Cheers!

suhaima <3