What's new

iPhone 7 camera and dpi

Status
Not open for further replies.

dae06

Reaction score
I have some pictures on my iPhone camera that I want to use for printing 11 x 14 pictures. The person doing this for us would like 200 dpi pictures or larger. I see that, no matter how I save these pictures, they are only 72 dpi. Can the camera not produce a higher dpi image?

Thanks

I'm not sure what's going on. I get e-mails of peoples responses, but I do not see them on the thread.

Derekbrabus- The pictures I want to be blown up were taken on my iPhone 7. So any picture taken on an iPhone will not be good quality for blown up prints? Is this accurate?

Here's a table that might help:
IMG_6987.JPG

Iphonephotographyschool

At full resolution and 14x11 I think your iPhone camera just gave you 285x272 dpi or 77,500 dots per square inch on paper - much higher than your 72 dpi minimum of 5,184 dots per square inch.

Something else must be going on

Here is from a picture just sent to me from an iPhone 6. (72 dpi)

dpi.PNG

Here is from MY iPhone 7: (72 dpi)

dpi (1).PNG

It seems that at 4032 horizontal pixels and 72 dpi that it would stretch to 56 inches wide. (42" tall too). I am not sure where this gets 72dpi (dpi is generally a measure of printed dots per inch). Are you looking at publishing onto a web page?

Edit, I see paper printing. Your file, at 11x14 is higher than their dpi count.

Some time ago, I've printed a few photos, taken with my iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus. The size of the prints is 30 x 40 cm (that's a bit more than 11" x 14"). They look great, in spite of "just" 72x72 dpi/ppi.

This seems to be an old discussion, but it gives me a place to add something I spotted, which may be of interest to others.

On my iPhone 8, and may therefore be applicable to other models but not my iPad air 2, I installed Camera+, by LateNiteSoft. It has a raw format option, which I have not really investigated very deeply yet, except to spot that my usual photo file size went from about 2MB to just short of 15MB. (Obviously there was no compression technique involved.)

Whether any apps handle raw format I do not know, but raw for some cameras is supported by Photoshop etc. on laptops.

The question has been posted more than two years ago, and the OP hasn’t returned since then. The problem has certainly been solved in the meantime, one way or the other.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.