What's new

iPhone 6 won't restore - error 4013

catluk2

Reaction score
I recently bought a refurbished iPhone 6 and its been working perfectly for 2 weeks
then it suddenly started a boot loop where it wouldn't go past apple logo. once or twice 50 times it would come to lock screen and even past that but it would last only couple of minutes. then it would continue to restart again and again.
took it to a repair shop where the guy tried restoring - didn't work out. Then replacing the battery - also did not work out. after replacing the battery he couldn't restore because iTunes was showing error 9. He wanted to replace the display ic but I thought i would get a second opinion. So he tucked in the old battery.
In the other shop, the new guy took the phone and tried restoring and Voila! it successfully restored! everything was working fine except the phone overheated 2 times and restarted. but it was working fine after I started using it without the back cover.
after 2 days, it entered into the boot loop again and i tried restoring it with iTunes by myself.. only this time I'm getting error 4013.
sorry about the long post.. hope someone can help
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to iPhone Forums, catluk2!

Make sure iTunes is up to date. The latest version is 12.6.2 and requires Windows 7 or later, or OS X 10.9.5 or later.

Also check for updates on your computer.

Force start your iPhone:
Press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until your see the Apple logo. As soon as it's visible, let go of both buttons. Your device will power up on it's own.

Then connect your iPhone to the computer again, and when you're asked if you wish to update or to restore, select "Update".

It's possible that the cable you're using is damaged. If possible, use a different one. Connect it to a different USB port on the computer.

Try using a different computer, if nothing works.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, catluk2!

Make sure iTunes is up to date. The latest version is 12.6.2 and requires Windows 7 or later, or OS X 10.9.5 or later.

Also check for updates on your computer.

Force start your iPhone:
Press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until your see the Apple logo. As soon as it's visible, let go of both buttons. Your device will power up on it's own.

Then connect your iPhone to the computer again, and when you're asked if you wish to update or to restore, select "Update".

It's possible that the cable you're using is damaged. If possible, use a different one. Connect it to a different USB port on the computer.

Try using a different computer, if nothing works.

Hope that helps.
Thank you J.A
iTunes and my computer are up to date.

And i did the DFU restore exactly the way you have explained. Downloaded the software for my iPhone and the bar which indicates progress goes till the end. then the phone restarts, shows a circular loading sign, and even shows up the long bar under the apple logo but then it restarts again and shows the iTunes icon and connector sign on the screen of the phone and Error 4013 on the iTunes software in my PC.

Used different USB ports (all 3 of them in my PC) and two different PCs (also 3 different ports on that).

There's no Apple Care where I am now and after the first technician who kept suggesting replacing different parts randomly, I don't even trust the technicians around here..

I would be so grateful if someone can offer me at least an explanation..

The iTunes icon usually means that it's necessary to use recovery mode to restore it:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
If you haven't done this yet, give it a try.

No idea at the moment what causes your problem. It's not the battery, in most cases, as you've already seen.
Thank again for the response.

I guess that's what I meant by DFU restore.. and as I have explained above, it fails at some point.

An interesting thing I noticed is, when i connect it to the power (either PC or socket) and leave it alone, it shows the iTunes icon for about 15-20 minutes and then restarts and shows up the iTunes icon again.. That's why I thought it could be a battery problem because the last time it went in to the loop, battery percentage was at 20% and it suddenly dropped to 5% and then turned off. But I was able to restart it after connecting to the power, and the phone worked fine. Then I disconnected the charger at about 30% and went to sleep (because it heats up considerably - the phone, the charger and the USB cable). next morning it was dead and when i tried to restart it, that's when went in to the boot loop again.

The only way a DFU restore can fail is if there are hardware problems with the computer, the iPhone, or the connecting cable. Have you tried using another USB port on your computer or tried a different charging cable? Error 4013 is generally a hardware issue causing a lack of proper communication between the computer and the iPhone.

The only way a DFU restore can fail is if there are hardware problems with the computer, the iPhone, or the connecting cable. Have you tried using another USB port on your computer or tried a different charging cable? Error 4013 is generally a hardware issue causing a lack of proper communication between the computer and the iPhone.
Thanks for the response
Yes the only thing i havent tried is using a different cable only because it was working fine. I even transferred some music and did a backup while the phone was working all using this cable.
But I will get a new cable and post the results as soon as possible