What's new

Iphone 5s in 2016?

Robert_126

Reaction score
Hi! In a month I'm getting a new phone. I am thinking of getting an Iphone 5s. I know that phone is old, but I just don't like the design of new Iphones (don't judge me). My question is: 1.Is it worth it now in 2016? 2.Will it last for 2 years of usage? 3.Will it be updated with newest updates for next 2 years? Thanks, and I'm also asuming of getting an Apple case for it. Are those also worth money? Thanks :)

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Robert_126!

Apple introduced a new iPhone last month, maybe you haven't heard about it yet: the iPhone SE
This is what it looks like:
image.jpeg

Apple

And here is Apple's information about it's technical specifications:
iPhone SE - Technical Specifications

The 5s has been discontinued this March. Apple doesn't sell it any more, you'll certainly be able to purchase it somewhere else (carrier, ...).
No one but Apple can tell for sure whether or not it will receive the latest software for the next 2 years, but considering the fact that the 4s still does get updates, it's very likely that the 5s will get software updates for the next 24 months.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Robert!

Have you considered the iPhone SE? It has the same form factor as the iPhone 5S and has the same A9 processor as the iPhone 6S. The camera is 12 megapixels, much better than on the iPhone 5S. It will also receive iOS updates for longer than the older 5S. Also, any cases for the 5S will fit the SE.

I am sure going to take iPhone SE in consider. So, basically, iPhone 5s and SE look exactly the same, except the pink color and the SE on the back. I like the iPhone SE very much! :)

Hi l am not profy, do you have the money to buy a better iPhone?
The iphone 5s in my opinion will last 2 years at least. The iPhone 5s has loads of cases for it. Search and you will find one you like.
Do you need a better iPhone and why???

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

I would go with the Se it's the perks of the 6s, with better battery life to boot. My mom and son are sporting them and they're the same price as the 5s, at least with the pay monthly plan through Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is, as a student I'm kinda low on budget and I can only afford iPhone 5s and maybe SE. Now I have Sony Xperia M2 and dear God it lags so much. That's why I want to buy an iPhone, because iOS is not laggy and cameras on iPhones are the best (and iPhones look damn pretty). And I live in Croatia, so prices here are higher than in USA, for example iPhone SE costs 700$ without contract so... It's pretty expensive over here.

The thing is, as a student I'm kinda low on budget and I can only afford iPhone 5s and maybe SE. Now I have Sony Xperia M2 and dear God it lags so much. That's why I want to buy an iPhone, because iOS is not laggy and cameras on iPhones are the best (and iPhones look damn pretty). And I live in Croatia, so prices here are higher than in USA, for example iPhone SE costs 700$ without contract so... It's pretty expensive over here.
I hope you manage to get an iPhone, You will certainly be glad you did.
Lets know how it goes.

The SE and the 5s are the same price- the 5s is discontinued across the board- but I can tell you the SE is amazing. My mom and son have it and I was debating but I love my screen size with the 6s plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are careful, not to buy a stolen or locked iPhone then it must not be brand new.
That way you can buy an iPhone for a lot less money. For example just 2 weeks ago l brought an
iPhone 5s for 205€ with no scratches, front or back. I did already have a charger and cable.
I will soon sell my iPhone 4

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

I would get the se it is like a mini 6s and does a lot of stuff 6s does. Few minor things it doesn't do 3D Touch, lower mp front camera and slightly slower finger print scanner not that you would notice. My favourite feature from the 6s is on se the Live Photos.

I don't see appeal of the 5s now my cousin got one and seems to like it. He used to get new phone every few month, but he's now had the 5s 18 month and no sign of him updating yet.