What's new

iPhone 5S battery drains quick

JTH86

Reaction score
I have had my new iPhone 5S for a month now and at work the battery drains quick. Only at work do I tend to drop calls so I'm wondering if it's because I don't have the best service in the area or whatever the phone is doing. I really don't use it that much. What possible steps should I look into?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Low service will certainly drain the battery. Just try going into airplane mode and then turn on wifi for the day and compare. That will probably answer your question.

What happens when you're not at work?

Also...turn off anything you don't use on a regular basis. Location services (system services), sending data to Apple, notifications, automatic app update, etc.

Low service will certainly drain the battery. Just try going into airplane mode and then turn on wifi for the day and compare. That will probably answer your question.

Also...turn off anything you don't use on a regular basis. Location services (system services), sending data to Apple, notifications, automatic app update, etc.
Just interesting... my5s battery life is good (my opinion). The only things switched off are 1. LTE, 2. Automatic updates (I like to see what I'm updating), 3. Spotlight search (all the apps I use do have a search option), 4. Bluetooth (I'm not using it). Some notifications not in center... I'm at an average of about 11%-12% usage per hour. Going 6 to 7 hours usage easily before I charge. I hope that it will stay like that. No games playing and videos watching only maybe once a day.

Sending data to apple, what exactly does that use? How do I turn off the LTE and the automatic app update? This would all be helpful!

Just interesting... my5s battery life is good (my opinion). The only things switched off are 1. LTE, 2. Automatic updates (I like to see what I'm updating), 3. Spotlight search (all the apps I use do have a search option), 4. Bluetooth (I'm not using it). Some notifications not in center... I'm at an average of about 11%-12% usage per hour. Going 6 to 7 hours usage easily before I charge. I hope that it will stay like that. No games playing and videos watching only maybe once a day.

How do I do the spotlight search? And even turn off my LTE? Thanks.

Sending data to apple, what exactly does that use? How do I turn off the LTE and the automatic app update? This would all be helpful! How do I do the spotlight search? And even turn off my LTE? Thanks.

I've turned off sending data to Apple, so I'm not sure what it uses but it's probably the same as any other data - it will send at a certain time and will use cellular or WiFi to pass the data (depending on what your phone is on at the time).

You can turn it off by going to your Settings app > General > About > Diagnotics & Usage > place a check mark next to "Don't Send."

For all the other things to turn off:

LTE: Settings app > Cellular > turn OFF the line titled "Enable LTE"

Spotlight Search: Settings app > General > Spotlight Search > place a check mark next to items you want to search within (you can also have no check mark)

Automatic App Update: Settings app > iTunes & AppStore > Automatic Downloads > ensure line titled "Updates" is OFF

Hopefully, some of that helps.

Marilyn

How do I do the spotlight search? And even turn off my LTE? Thanks.
LTE turn off -settings>cellular>enable 4g -turn it off. (4g is same as LTE in my country) Spotlight search - settings>general>spotlight search> unclick all. If you want to search for example in notes...swipe down and search in bar at top...

Thanks for all the advice guys!

So, I did all of these things suggested on here. I went to work today and it still drained the heck outta my battery. I went to the Sprint store tonight and the guy said my 4G isn't connecting at all. I don't have the slightest clue what to do since my LTE won't connect. I could use all help! He even tried and couldn't get my LTE connecting. Please help!

Oh...Sprint....there's your answer! It's either their service or your phone. If it's not their service, your phone is under warranty!

pyqaryjy.jpg
is this good battery life for a 5s I took it out the charger 5 am this morning

pyqaryjy.jpg
is this good battery life for a 5s I took it out the charger 5 am this morning
I think it's good. I see your 4G is on. I'll try that again. The 4G in our region not so good, but I'll try it on. That's roughly what my 5s is doing. My wife's 5 is a bit heavier on drain with a lot more things switching off. It looks like something that Apple's doing regarding 5S is working.

I think it's good. I see your 4G is on. I'll try that again. The 4G in our region not so good, but I'll try it on. That's roughly what my 5s is doing. My wife's 5 is a bit heavier on drain with a lot more things switching off. It looks like something that Apple's doing regarding 5S is working.

anyhejaq.jpg

This is the end result but your right my side of town is not so good

I think it's very good. Exactly what one need. My avg is about 12% per hr. Maybe sometimes more if I'm not on wifi. I think yours are very good. Would love to know what experience other users got...

I believe I use the phone moderate because I was at work so I couldn't be on the phone for that long but On my way To work I have my music playing while I'm on Facebook, imore, Instagram another online sites and I just make calls and watch YouTube vids and some texting here in there in a 14 hour day

I have US Cellular for my service provider and they tend to have spotty LTE coverage in my area. So my phone is always going from LTE to 1x and my battery seems to be fine I can get about two days out of it with basic use IE. Facebook, youtube, music for a few hours BUT I dont make alot of phone calls i text more than anything. Battery Life Pro is in the APP Store for $0.99 and might be a good way if anything for you to dtermine where the battery is getting used the most so you could cut back on it or monitor is a little better. Cheers.