What's new

iPhone 5s battery polarity

hanklover34

Reaction score
I've been using an iPhone 5s for a while and the battery seems to have died, I left the phone and was not in touch with it for 3 months odd time. When I tried to power it on again, I couldn't, plugged in the charger, still couldn't..
Does anyone know the polarity of the terminals of the battery, and this battery has only three terminals unlike the 4 I used before,
and also will a PC recognize the device without the battery, I'm not sure whether it is the battery itself or the motherboard that has the failure..

Thanks in advance :)

I've been using an iPhone 5s for a while and the battery seems to have died, I left the phone and was not in touch with it for 3 months odd time. When I tried to power it on again, I couldn't, plugged in the charger, still couldn't..
Does anyone know the polarity of the terminals of the battery, and this battery has only three terminals unlike the 4 I used before,
and also will a PC recognize the device without the battery, I'm not sure whether it is the battery itself or the motherboard that has the failure..

Thanks in advance :)
Leaving a dead battery for three months without charging it can permanently damage the battery. Are you saying you bought a replacement battery that has three terminals where the original has four? If that's the case, you've got a counterfeit battery. If you go to a company like iFixit, you can be sure that the battery or any parts you buy are genuine Apple parts. A working battery has to be in place before the phone can be powered up and be recognised by iTunes.

@scifan57 Sorry for the typo. What I meant was, the previous iPhone 4 I owned had four terminals in the battery, whereas this battery(the iPhone 5s) has only three terminals. I didn't buy any replacement battery since I wanted to be sure whether it's the battery or the board that is damaged. We don't find a lot of iPhone 5s in the area where I live so I had no way of checking the battery on another iPhone..
So I thought of using a digital variable power supply to connect to the board and to check whether it powers on, so if it does I can go ahead and purchase a replacement battery..
For this purpose I want to know what the -ve and +ve terminals are in the battery, I don't want to connect the power supply in opposite polarities because it might damage the phone(not sure, just my knowledge)..

Do you have a means to test the battery directly, at a local repair shop for instance? The iPhone is not designed to have an outside power supply directly connected to the motherboard. The outside power supply, from a charger for example, is connected to the battery which then powers the phone. I wasn't able to find any info on which voltages are supplied to the power connections on the motherboard.

@scifan57 No, I don't have any means of testing the battery, I live in a country where iFixits or anything is not available, there are quite a number of repair shops but I'm not sure even whether they are aware of what they are doing.
I know that the voltage is 3.7v but I'm not sure of the terminals, I used a multimeter to check the voltage across battery terminals and the reading is slightly above zero. I tried charging the battery through a wall charger, still no success...

How long did you charge the battery for? It can take much longer than normal for a fully dead battery to gain a useful charge level and be able to power the phone.

Try an overnight charge and see if the battery will power up the phone.