What's new

iPhone 5 Will Have a Smaller Dock Connecter According to Credible New Reports

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
7431-iphone-5-preorders.JPG

Reuters has a story today that appears to confirm recent rumours that the next iPhone will be the first Apple device to use its new, smaller dock connector. According to the report, the standard, 30-pin dock connector that has been used by Apple for almost a decade is about to be replaced by a new 19-pin connector, situated at the bottom of the next iPhone. Two sources in the know told Reuters that the dock connector has been made smaller in order to make room for the earphone port that has now been moved to the bottom of the phone. One way in which this will impact the consumer, of course, is that you will have to use an adaptor or buy a new dock if you want to connect your brand spanking new iPhone 5 to an older accessory such as a speaker or music system or power charger. Reuters report analysts as saying that the move means new business for Apple, and for accessory vendors, as people rush to buy new docks for their iPhones. Charging is not such a big issue, of course, as doubtless the new phone will come with its own new style of charger.

Source: What's up dock? Apple to shrink connector for iPhone 5 | Reuters

I don't see the point of having the ear phone port at the bottom.. What difference does it make?
It's not like there will be an extra accessory at the top of the phone where the earphone port was...?

I think moving the headphone socket is to do with water proofing, I killed my first 4s with a drop of rain going down the h/phone socket

it means more space for decent quality speakers rather then wasting space for a charger dock connector.. I hope this turns out to be what apple does like witht he rumours of an even smaller micro sim card

I'll miss those 11 little suckers when they go...
frown.png

Me too! I think I have like 20 of them in my draw

Darkstar2007 said:
Oh yes. I'm gonna miss the old dock connector too...
I hope they come out with an adapter real quick. :O

Count on it. Belkin will have the adapter within minutes of getting the pinouts.

I can't stand the idea of headphones being on the bottom...I won't upgrade for that very reason.