What's new

IPhone 5 protective case?

Ncage1974

Reaction score
I plan on buying an iphone 5 tomorrow. I'm not coming from an older model iphone (i now have an android phone). I know there is a HUGE variety of iphone cases. Its pretty likely that any popular case for the iphone 4/4s will have a model for the iphone 5. With that said i need a case that offers a lot of protection. Its not a question of if i'll drop it but when. I've had the otterbox defender on some of my previous phones. While being a very protective case it makes your phone a brick. Is there something between an otterbox defender. I definitly want something that has an integrated screen protector. One of those stick on screen protector isn't enough. Hopefully there is something that is still very protective but not quite as bulky as the otterbox defender. It be awesome if it had an armband too but i know beggers can't be choosers

I'm probably going to get the Otterbox Commuter, which is thinner than the Defender. It doesn't come with an integrated screen protector though. I had a Gear 4 Icebox Pro on my old iPhone 4 and that was all encompassing, front/back/sides. It was see through but single layer hard plastic. Still, it saved my phone on numerous occasions.

I don't know of any other cases that have an integrated screen protector built into them but I also would be very interested in knowing for when I order my iPhone 5 tomorrow. THat was I can buy it instead of the Commuter.

Gear 4 don't have the Icebox Pro for iphone 5 anywhere on their website either, so no luck there (yet perhaps).

After doing some homework and unless there are some options that someone makes me aware of i might end up going with the following case:
iPhone 5 Ballistic Hard Core (HC) Series Case. The things i really like about it are:
You can remove the outer bulky silicon layer
Its easy to take apart (the defender, at least they used to be a pain to take apart). This will be useful if i want to swap this case when an armband sports type case when i go running.
Its a little pricey at $60 though. I'm sure if you bought it off a 3rd party seller it would be cheaper but if you want the case by time you get your iphone then you will probably have to order it through them.
I had the commuter for my HTC Incredible and its a fine case. Just doesn't offer any screen protection of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ballistic hard case looks absolutely enormous though. It definitely looks like it adds a lot of bulk to the phone. Can you cofnirm please?

I'd love a case that has an integrated screen protector built in mainly so I don't have to worry about my fat fingers trying to get to the edge of the swpe screen when using the phone. However, I don't want a case that adds a huge amount of bulk to it, hence hoping that Gear4 produce their Icebox Pro.

Any other suggestions very gratefully received.

Mine is showing a delivery date of two weeks from the Apple Store direct :-(

Presumably that means two weeks after 21 September.

We spend a LOT of time outside in all kinds of weather.....DD has this case iPhone Cases and iPad Cases | LifeProof on her phone now and loves it. Yes it does cost a lot,but my touch got ruined in a short rain so as soon as they have one for the IPhone 5 it is what I will get.

I am holding out for the LifeProof also, the wait is driving me crazy! Just last night I took a nice body slam into the dirt off my horse when he spooked. I bought a cheaper case/holster from BestBuy to hold me over. Nothing happened to my phone except for it being covered in dust. I heard the LifeProof is supposed to be less bulky then the Defender series which was what I used on my iPhone4. Hopefully they hurry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just posted this in the accessories .. but here goes too. I just received the new Otter Box the other day. This maximum protection. The buttons on this case are very positive/responsive. HArd to get away from bulky, but at least this case with the two tone and different color schemes offered are somewhat attractive.
No fun getting dumped off a horse. I have had a few spills myself years ago. Hope YOU came out OK.

View attachment 8732

Last edited:
im enjoying my dual layer case, the incipio dual pro, i got a black one for $13 off of amazon, they retail at $30.

its a great minimalistic but protective case

suggestions: the Verizon store has good protective cases, Walmart has Otterbox cases. Amazon has nice silicon cases or you can preorder from a multitude of manufacturers. I got a bumper case from amazon until I receive my case from Rokform. Just being careful until it gets here.