What's new

iPhone 5 keeps switching randomly between audible and silent

Adam2k90

Reaction score
Hello,

My iPhone 5 keeps randomly switching between silent and audible. Basically I will be using the phone and the silent pop up will keep appearing then disappearing with no physical print whatsoever. I have restored to backup and also restored completely but neither seems to work. Obviously I can probably get a replacement from Apple but I'd rather keep this one as I've got a BSE back protector and a wrap on the side of the phone.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks

Just to clarity... when randomly switching between silent and audible, the on screen speaker and crossed out on screen speaker will appear back and forth?

Thomasjtsi said:
Just to clarity... when randomly switching between silent and audible, the on screen speaker and crossed out on screen speaker will appear back and forth?

Yes, on the screen you can see it switching between the two in quick succession.

Yes, on the screen you can see it switching between the two in quick succession.
Then you're definitely looking at a hardware issue. The silent switch, it's ribbon or connector has a short in it somewhere and needs to be replaced or repaired. If you're wanting to keep this phone... you can replace these parts yourself relatively cheap. I can provide links if you'd like...

Thomasjtsi said:
Then you're definitely looking at a hardware issue. The silent switch, it's ribbon or connector has a short in it somewhere and needs to be replaced or repaired. If you're wanting to keep this phone... you can replace these parts yourself relatively cheap. I can provide links if you'd like...

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just have to get Apple to replace it then as I'd rather not tinker with the phone. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just have to get Apple to replace it then as I'd rather not tinker with the phone. Thanks anyway.
Very welcome! Sorry though... I just don't see any other options since you've already restored your iPhone both ways.