What's new

Why iPhone 5 keep restarting randomly???

iniesta

Reaction score
For the past couple of weeks, I have had problems with my iPhone 5 crashing and restarting randomly. My iPhone 5 is running iOS 6.1.

Sometimes it restarts when I am using it but there is no pattern with regards to the Apple app that I am using when it takes place. Sometimes it may crash when I am using Runkeeper to track a run, sometimes when I am using Whatsapp, sometimes when I am using the Mail app, etc.

Other times it suddenly restarts when I am not using the phone at all i.e. it is just lying around.

I have not installed anything new in the past two weeks but I have upgraded some Cydia packages. But forgot which ones, though.

Most of the time, my phone does not crash into Safe Mode. It randomly reboots itself up normally. This happens anywhere between one to three times per day and is quite irritating whenever it happens.

However occasionally I have had Safe Mode crashes but these are not as frequent as the random rebooting.<br><br>The tweaks and packages that I have installed are:

THEMES
Ae0n
Ayecon<
Anique
BiteLiquid (BiteSMS theme)
Carla
Darth Vader LockScreen
Dark Blocks NotifiCenter
Default HD SBSettings
EnvyReMix
Forte HD iPhone 5, 4(S)
Harry Potter Zeppelin
Hunger Games Lockscreen
LS Anti iOS7 i4/i5
Pure iOS7 Pro
Inka

FONTS
AutourOne Font
Aleo
Baumans
Bellota
Chinacat
Droid Sans
Hey Gorgeous Font
iOS7 Font
Salsa Font
Surface Font
Set Fire to the Rain Font
TH Mali Grade 6 Bold

TWEAKS
Activator
AppList
Auxo
BigBoss Icon Set
BiteSMS
BlurriedNCBackground
Bytafont
CameraTweak
CardSwitcher
Clocky iWidget
Colour Keyboard
Couria
Cydia Installer
Cydia Translations
DeepEnd
Do Not Disturb Toggle
Epiq iWidget
evasion 6.0-6.2 Untether
f.lux
FlipClocks iWidget
FullForce for Phone
GPS Weather LockScreen
Iconoclasm
Iconoclasm Layout Maker
iFile
iGotYa
Infinidock
Infinifolders
IntelliScreen X 6
iOS 7 Parallax Variety
iWidgets
LibLocation
Lockscreen Clock Hide
LowpowerBanner
MapsOpener
Mobile Substrate
No News is Good News
Opener
Pull to Refresh Safari
QR4WeChat
ResetAllKiller
SBSettings
sbsettings toggles
Serious SBSettings HD
SpringFlash
Substrate Safe Mode
SwipeSelection
Tap To Note
Tap to Remind
Tap to Widgets (Core)
Wallpaper JPEGifier
Wicked HD for iOS6
Winterboard
xCon
Zeppelin
2X2 Folder Icons

From the list above, what could the random rebooting likely be caused by? Do help shed some light into this matter. :)

Last edited:
Bump! Could someone help if you can?

I haven't had the time to run through the list thoroughly and check for conflicts. Individually, they're all fine as I have many on the list.

See if anything comes up using Crash Reporter. You may have to change your profile from User to either Hacker or Developer in order to see the package in Cydia

I haven't had the time to run through the list thoroughly and check for conflicts. Individually, they're all fine as I have many on the list.

See if anything comes up using Crash Reporter. You may have to change your profile from User to either Hacker or Developer in order to see the package in Cydia

Hmm, maybe when you're free, you could put a list of the tweaks you have down here, since many are the same as mine, so I can have a good gauge at what possibly is not causing the conflict?

I tried crash reporter but somehow the latest crashes don't seem to be showing up on there. Maybe that's cause they are not actually app crashes but just random phone reboots which crash reporter does not pick up.

Last edited:
Do you see any panic.plist reports in Diagnostics & Usage?

Do you see any panic.plist reports in Diagnostics & Usage?

The strange thing is that the date the apps have crashed all seem to be around Feb to August. There's no crashes in October according to crash reporter - when the problems started for me.

When I open crash reporter, the screen appears as expected.

$image-438838221.jpg

For example, I wasn't using my phone and my springboard just crashed about 15 mins ago.

But when I open springboard crashes on crash reporter, there's no crashes in October.

$image-1194635983.jpg

I have scrolled to the bottom but still no October crashes.

When I open up one of the (older) crash reports, I get this screen.

$image-3064125203.jpg

They are all like that. Nope, no predicted apps that could cause the crash.

And I get this when I try to view the report.

$image-79544611.jpg

It may be a caching issue as well. I'd recommend backing up all your tweaks and sources as well as Apple/stock app data, run ILEX R.A.T. on your device to wipe everything (including stock/Apple app data), then restore both the tweak/source backup as well as Apple/stock app data. The ultimate goal is to have fresh copies of your tweaks installed to isolate the issue between an incompatibility, or just a tweak cache/corruption issue.

It may be a caching issue as well. I'd recommend backing up all your tweaks and sources as well as Apple/stock app data, run ILEX R.A.T. on your device to wipe everything (including stock/Apple app data), then restore both the tweak/source backup as well as Apple/stock app data. The ultimate goal is to have fresh copies of your tweaks installed to isolate the issue between an incompatibility, or just a tweak cache/corruption issue.

EDIT: I spoke too soon!!! Just faced another crash.
This crash took place moments after installing Auxo.
So I have removed Auxo (a tweak which I loved, sadly). Let's see now if this fixes things.

Thanks for the advice.

I've finally had time to run ilex r.a.t and reinstalled everything from my backups. So far, my device hasn't crashed, but maybe it's a bit too early to tell yet. Will keep this thread updated as to what happens in the next few days.

Last edited:
Update to my iPhone problems:

Since restoring the iPhone, the crashes still seem to be coming back every now and then. I faced another one just a few minutes ago. It has happened roughly about twice today already I think.

Should I backup and restore and the phone again or could it be an incompatible tweak issue?

What do you think?

Check for crash reports in Settings.app. If none are there, then I'd use ILEX R.A.T. once again, and this time, instead of restoring your tweaks via xBackup, PKGBackup, or any tweak backup utility, manually re-install the tweaks that are known not to have compatibility issues.

Activator *
AppList
BigBoss Icon Set *
BiteSMS
BlurriedNCBackground
Bytafont
Colour Keyboard
Cydia Installer *
Cydia Translations *
Do Not Disturb Toggle
evasion 6.0-6.2 Untether *
f.lux
FullForce for Phone
Iconoclasm
iFile
iGotYa
Infinidock
Infinifolders
IntelliScreen X 6
LibLocation *
Lockscreen Clock Hide
LowpowerBanner
MapsOpener
Mobile Substrate *
No News is Good News
SBSettings
sbsettings toggles *
Serious SBSettings HD *
SpringFlash
Substrate Safe Mode *
Winterboard
xCon
Zeppelin

The below are the raw basics out of your list of installed tweaks that are problem free. The ones with an * next to them are the ones that you probably don't need to manually look for since they come with one of the other packages that're on the list. See if this list causes any crashes.

Thanks again for the speedy reply Willerz.

Just reporting into this thread again for an update.

Restored phone again and only installed the tweaks in willerz's list above. So far, so good. Will report again if I do encounter any crashes in the next few days. :)