What's new

iphone 5 doesn't charge after getting wet

michiel1992

Reaction score
my friends iphone got wet, so she dryed it with rice for a couple of days.
afther a while she tried to turn it on again, it all worked perfectly untill she tried to charge it.
i'm geussing there's a problem with the docking connector and i'm thinking of removing it and clean the connections with some contact spray and if that doesn't work maybe get a new docking connector.
or am i looking in the wrong direction here ?

my friends iphone got wet, so she dryed it with rice for a couple of days.
afther a while she tried to turn it on again, it all worked perfectly untill she tried to charge it.
i'm geussing there's a problem with the docking connector and i'm thinking of removing it and clean the connections with some contact spray and if that doesn't work maybe get a new docking connector.
or am i looking in the wrong direction here ?
Depending on how much moisture got into the phone, there could be much more corrosion and internal damage than can be seen without opening the phone. It could be just the docking connector or there may be other water damage.

thank you for the quick reply, how exactly do you spot if there's any more water damage in the phone ?
the phone was working perfect untill the battery died, therefore i was thinking about looking in the direction of the docking connector first.

thank you for the quick reply, how exactly do you spot if there's any more water damage in the phone ?
the phone was working perfect untill the battery died, therefore i was thinking about looking in the direction of the docking connector first.
Corrosion damage inside the phone is progressive and can get worse with time. Corrosion on the circuit board can be seen when the phone is disassembled. Replacing the dock connector may help in the short term but the phone could develop other symptoms as time goes on. If you have an Apple Store nearby, I suggest you take it in for a Genius Bar appointment to have a full diagnostic done. This will enable you to determine if it's worth repairing the phone.

Very common failure. On the 4s and older, I remove the MotherBoard, remove the metal covers on the MB, then drop it in an unlit a sonic tank with 97% alcohol. Works fantastic. On the 5 and newer, it works about 60% of the time as you can't remove the cover and scrub the corrosion with a toothbrush like you can on the 4 series. The no charge is the biggest issue and it is MB related, not the charge port. I have changed many with ONLY one if them being a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very common failure. On the 4s and older, I remove the MotherBoard, remove the metal covers on the MB, then drop it in an unlit a sonic tank with 97% alcohol. Works fantastic. On the 5 and newer, it works about 60% of the time as you can't remove the cover and scrub the corrosion with a toothbrush like you can on the 4 series. The no charge is the biggest issue and it is MB related, not the charge port. I have changed many with ONLY one if them being a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the exact same answer i got on a dutch forum :)
So i guess i'll try cleaning it with some alcohol before getting it to an apple store.