What's new

jailbroken iphone 4 will not power on after getting wet

pommy224

Reaction score
i have a cdma iphone 4 using IOS 6.1.3 that has a teathered jailbreak using redsnow. i got caught out in the rain on my atv and when i got to shelter i took it out of my pocket and it was damp and turned off. i really didn't think it got that wet and it was running low on battery so i tried turning it on. nothing happened except after a few minutes later i noticed it got pretty hot. when i got home i took the back glass off and set it in front of a fan for about 4 hours. i tried turning it on. nothing. i tried plugging it into my computer, computer recognized something was connected but i could not find my iphone under my computer or anything. so i took it the rest of the way apart and got the logic board out. there was quite a bit of blue-ish corrosion on the top side of it. i removed all of the shields and cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol. it actually cleaned up really nice and looked like new. put it back together and still nothing after trying to power on and plug into computer.

with it plugged into computer i opened redsnow. it said iphone 4 in soft dfu mode. i selected my ipsw and went to just boot. the next button would not light up. i ended up getting it to light up by holding both the power and home buttons for awhile. and i even got redsnow to upload the files to the iphone and try to boot it. but it got stuck on the waiting for reboot screen. so i tried to do a restore threw itunes and that didn't work either. the whole time the screen on the phone stayed black.

is this a hardware or a software problem? i'm guessing hardware but i really don't know much about the inards of these phones and i'm not sure if its completly toast or can be fixed. please help.

For wet devices, submerge in rice to rid the moisture over a 48-72 hour period, then you can service it and check it.

Yeah i also heard that kind of technique, but I thought you should submerge is for 5-7 days?

The most important thing to do, in addition to packing it in rice to absorb the moisture, is to not turn it on. Turning on a damp iPhone can cause problems like shorting the battery and may make fixing the phone impossible.

i had the whole device apart. it was completely dry... tried turning it on when i got home from work and nothing happened. put it in pwned DFU mode with redsnow and tried restoring threw itunes. got an error after some time (1601) and said iphone could not be restored. i wanna say the phone is junk but the fact that itunes recognizes its an iphone and that redsnow can determine what mode it is in makes me think this phone isn't completely junk? i can also make the phone do "something" by holding both the home and power buttons. could i just replace the logic board? how much is one of them? thanks for any suggestions.