What's new

iphone 5,5th or 6th generation???

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Will iphone 5 be considered as 5th or 6th generation? some say one some say the other.

*I really need my Family Feud voice for this* :D

The SDK (will) says!!!!!!!

5,1 = GSM
5,2 = CDMA

So I vote 5th.

*I really need my Family Feud voice for this* :D

The SDK (will) says!!!!!!!

5,1 = GSM
5,2 = CDMA

So I vote 5th.
LOL,i actually was going to go 5th then i googled it and some articles called it the 6th,thanks for your input.

The iPhone 5 will be the 6th gen of iPhone.

There was the original iPhone, the 3g, the 3gs, the 4, and the 4s.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

yes thats what i thought.

Apple labels them internally for developers as: Device Generation,Version.

iPhone & iPhone 3G are 1,x
iPhone 3GS are 2,x
iPhone 4 are 3,x
iPhone 4S are 4,x

They have, since day one, done it by CPU/GPU advancement.

This was heavily discussed between Skull and myself a few months back, here... http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-polls-9/iphone-5-iphone-6-a-24729/. While I fully understand Apple using the Developer Source Code to determine the iPhone generations... the iPhone that's released later this year will be the 6th iPhone released by Apple. Thus, making it the 6th Generation iPhone to the vast majority of the world's population. Case in point, a little debate broke out in a recent "The iPad" thread started by Phil, on of our S.Mods. One user jumped all over Phil for calling it the "iPad 3," and did so quite inappropriately. Apple may officially be calling it "The iPad"... the general public will still call it the "iPad 3." With that said... I fully appreciate Skull One for enlightening me in regards to why this years iPhone will be the "5" as opposed to the "6". :)

This was heavily discussed between Skull and myself a few months back, here... http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-polls-9/iphone-5-iphone-6-a-24729/. While I fully understand Apple using the Developer Source Code to determine the iPhone generations... the iPhone that's released later this year will be the 6th iPhone released by Apple. Thus, making it the 6th Generation iPhone to the vast majority of the world's population. Case in point, a little debate broke out in a recent "The iPad" thread started by Phil, on of our S.Mods. One user jumped all over Phil for calling it the "iPad 3," and did so quite inappropriately. Apple may officially be calling it "The iPad"... the general public will still call it the "iPad 3." With that said... I fully appreciate Skull One for enlightening me in regards to why this years iPhone will be the "5" as opposed to the "6". :)
totally agree with all that,some good points there.

My hope is, they remove the number and list it like the iPad (3rd Gen). :)

I think I'm the only person that loves the current design of the iPhone...and hope it doesn't change too much.lol

Tho......this is the nicest phone I she ever owned ever.lol.

LOL! Thanks for reminding me about that thread. I just re-read it and boy has my perception changed since then. When they dropped the number from the iPad (3rd Gen) that really shot every argument I had for the names iPhone 5 and 5S out the window, off the planet and into the sun :)

But I still firmly believe my iDon't campaign would be the most successful one in Apple history :D

LOL! Thanks for reminding me about that thread. I just re-read it and boy has my perception changed since then. When they dropped the number from the iPad (3rd Gen) that really shot every argument I had for the names iPhone 5 and 5S out the window, off the planet and into the sun :) But I still firmly believe my iDon't campaign would be the most successful one in Apple history :D
Ah yes... I love the "iDon't" campaign!! :) Honestly though, Skull, I was thinking you'd come out w/ guns blazing after I posted a rehash of our previous encounter. :p

Ah yes... I love the "iDon't" campaign!! :) Honestly though, Skull, I was thinking you'd come out w/ guns blazing after I posted a rehash of our previous encounter. :p

If you had done it 24 hours earlier, that may have very well been the outcome. But I was actually in the middle of the same conversation on iPadForums. And yesterday around 11am I made a rather interesting, well startling to me, discovery.

Three months ago, Apple's website and specifically the store had everything listed by year or generation. But since the launch of the iPad (3rd Gen) the entire website has changed. They now list the product by brand name only and then on the next line list when it was introduced in smaller text. That is a huge departure in my opinion. And I believe the next iPhone will be simply called "iPhone" because of it.

I am of the opinion Apple is going thru a cultural shift from a branding standpoint. To what end? No idea. But they are changing things and doing it rather rapidly and now consistently.

BTW, the other thing I can't fight with facts is main stream media. The last few articles I have read all use the term 6th generation because they simply don't know any better.

If you had done it 24 hours earlier, that may have very well been the outcome. But I was actually in the middle of the same conversation on iPadForums. And yesterday around 11am I made a rather interesting, well startling to me, discovery.

Three months ago, Apple's website and specifically the store had everything listed by year or generation. But since the launch of the iPad (3rd Gen) the entire website has changed. They now list the product by brand name only and then on the next line list when it was introduced in smaller text. That is a huge departure in my opinion. And I believe the next iPhone will be simply called "iPhone" because of it.

I am of the opinion Apple is going thru a cultural shift from a branding standpoint. To what end? No idea. But they are changing things and doing it rather rapidly and now consistently.

BTW, the other thing I can't fight with facts is main stream media. The last few articles I have read all use the term 6th generation because they simply don't know any better.
making a very interesting debate though,everyone will have a different opinion,great stuff.

The interesting part to me is, the entire website is sans-year and generation on the same line as the product except for the iPads in the refurbished store.

With the introduction of dividens, stock buy back, and now this twist on name branding, I believe Apple is truly trying to figure out how to make their stock hit $1000.