What's new

iPhone 5 or iPhone 6?!?

Will the 2012 release be an iPhone 5 or iPhone 6?

• iPhone 5

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • iPhone 6

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other.....

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
If it's not called a 4G, it will be called a 5, simply because 5 follows 4..........well, fancy that. IMHO, all those that argue strongly that it will be iPhone 6 are in for a wheelbarrow full of fail and should open a thread entitled "all those that called it iPhone 6 post here" so that it is easy to identify and ridicule them.

I am very happy to inform you that Apple will never use the number 4 and the letter G next to each other for a phone name. 4G is a misused term at best right now. And LTE isn't understood by the masses yet.

And it will be called the iPhone 5. Especially if they get the A6 up to production speed OR they go to a larger screen size.

Skull One said:
Note: I cleaned up the original post for readability

While your post lists the phones in the order they came out, your idea that the generations followed that list is not what Apple nor the rest of the industry believes.

The iPhone generations are listed in the developer source code which means they are set in stone and can't be argued with.

The phones are listed as generation comma version.
iPhone 1,1 - Original
iPhone 1,2 - 3G
iPhone 2,1 - 3GS
iPhone 3,1 - 4 GSM
iPhone 3,3 - 4 CDMA
iPhone 4,1 - 4S GSM/CDMA

The next generation is already set as iPhone 5,1.

Side note: Those generations I listed were all based on CPU upgrades. IE Original and 3G were ARM 1176JZ. 3GS is the ARM Cortex A8. 4 is the A4. 4S is the A5.

BTW, the iPhone 5,1 might be the first generation of iPhone that won't have a CPU upgrade involved unless the A6 catches up in yield rates.

So in closing, it will be called the iPhone 5 because Apple will not skip a number. That would be seen as a failure.

Thanks for the edit Skull... my computer at work is firewalled pretty heavily & makes my posts jacked up from time to time.

In light of the your in depth description of developer source code determining the iPhone generations... I do see another side of the argument. However, I see no definitive allocation as to why it will be titled the "5." Only 2 generations had a denom that corresponded w/ their "developer source code"... Original - 1,1 & 4S - 4,1.

Thanks for the edit Skull... my computer at work is firewalled pretty heavily & makes my posts jacked up from time to time.

In light of the your in depth description of developer source code determining the iPhone generations... I do see another side of the argument. However, I see no definitive allocation as to why it will be titled the "5." Only 2 generations had a denom that corresponded w/ their "developer source code"... Original - 1,1 & 4S - 4,1.

I can give you exactly 4 reasons why it will be called 5.

3G, 3GS, 4, 4S.

The next numbers will be 5 and 5S.

The reason for that is actually very simple and you can review their SEC fillings to glean why. The first version is always the "base line" that sets up an updated version. The 5 has the potential to introduce two new things. The A6 CPU and a larger display. Then once the economy of scale has finally kicked in the 5S will modify things, at very little cost to Apple, and they will rake in their major cash. This his how they have amassed over 80 billion in cash reserves in just the last 4 years.

Look at it this way. Every analyst projected the 4S wouldn't sell. They said the same thing about the 3GS for people that were only one year into their two year contract for the 3G. Guess what. Both phones sold out in their initial runs and demand has them both looking to out sell their older sibling. Lead times for the 4S are now 3 weeks. So much for the analysts. The consumers spoke, Apple listened and made the cash. Do you really believe Apple will break away from a winning strategy?

Skull One said:
I can give you exactly 4 reasons why it will be called 5.

3G, 3GS, 4, 4S.

The next numbers will be 5 and 5S.

The reason for that is actually very simple and you can review their SEC fillings to glean why. The first version is always the "base line" that sets up an updated version. The 5 has the potential to introduce two new things. The A6 CPU and a larger display. Then once the economy of scale has finally kicked in the 5S will modify things, at very little cost to Apple, and they will rake in their major cash. This his how they have amassed over 80 billion in cash reserves in just the last 4 years.

Look at it this way. Every analyst projected the 4S wouldn't sell. They said the same thing about the 3GS for people that were only one year into their two year contract for the 3G. Guess what. Both phones sold out in their initial runs and demand has them both looking to out sell their older sibling. Lead times for the 4S are now 3 weeks. So much for the analysts. The consumers spoke, Apple listened and made the cash. Do you really believe Apple will break away from a winning strategy?

+1 Thanks Skull One. Exactly my thoughts.
I couldn't imagine apple skipping the 5 and going to the 6. Made no sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

well it doesn't have to be the "new" as long as they get out of the numbers 4S/5/5S/6/6S
yes i agree,it gets confusing,one thing is sure,Apple know how to get everyone talking about it.