What's new

iPhone 4s - wrong language for voice recognition

lcira

Reaction score
Hello,

I debated posting this on the international forum... but this seems to be the right place.

I am new to iPhones and just purchased my 4s in France (SFR - in case that matters). During the initial configuration, I set the phone to US English, and then set Siri and keyboard to US English (QWERTY) as well.

The problem I am having is that when I want to use the microphone icon to dicate (in gmail, or on a website forum for example), the phone thinks I'm saying something in French, and tries to interpret my English into French.

For example, in gmail, "Hi Leah, I'm just testing my new iPhone" comes out as "Train et rien à une just testing Magnon iPhone". If I try repeating it slower, it comes up with something different, but still mostly in French.

Dictating in French (in gmail for example) works just fine. "Salut Bernard je teste mon nouvel iPhone" comes out exactly as intended.

I need English however, most of my iPhone use will be in English (although sometimes I might want to switch settings to French ;-))

Autocorrect also corrects English typed words to French (really annoying!!)

I have been through the general settings menu several times, and set everything possible to English all over.

I also tried turning the phone completely off and on again, to no avail.

The funny thing is that when I talk to Siri just "normally", she understands my English and responds appropriately in English (ex: "Siri, call Laura" she answers "I don't see Lora in your address book".

What am I doing wrong here? Have I missed an essential setting, or are my expectations out of line? Surely if I can dictate in French, I should be able to dictate in English?

TIA,
Lori

Fixed my own problem, 10 minutes before my scheduled apple support phone call ;-)

In fact, I noticed that despite having the "English" keyboard checked (I had two keyboards in the list), the keyboard was showing up in French, so I decided to delete the French keyboard completely and that solved my problem. Now everything is coming out in English :))) Phew, now I can actually use my phone!