What's new

iPhone 4s deleting contacts randomly?!? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crynickk

Reaction score
Hello all, recently i purchased an iPhone 4s the day it came out and have loved it ever since i got it. However, last night while i was out i checked my contacts and i had gone from 234 contacts to 115!! I was so confused to what happened so i of course googled it and nothing came up, I was out last night and just thought i would restore from my last backup when i get home. So this morning thats what i did, all worked well and my contacts were back on my phone and i was happy that i fixed it without any problems.... Or so i thought... i exited my contacts app and started moving some apps around my springboard, then went into my contacts once more and i see i now have 95 contacts, when i JUST literally had my 234 contacts back. I restored from last backup once more, got my contacts back, exited the contacts app, came back in and now back to 95 contacts. WTF please help me guys it seems everytime i leave the contacts app it deletes a random amount of my contacts! What to do ?!?! :((

it could be that the last time you backed up your device you had that many contacts? so when you restored to a backup in itunes it restores the 94 contacts.

No, because i can backup my phone and it will restore it to 234 contacts, and as soooon as i leave the app, it deletes half of them.

Could some of them be on the sim card? try go into the options and import contacts

allready tried that, no luck. im really stuck here, i just want this problem fixed.. could it possibly have to do with iCloud and iCloud syncing my contacts to 95 because thats all iCloud has saved??

Did you check groups on top left and make sure it's on all contacts and not just pc or iCloud? Just a thought

I'm going to be following this thread. My iPhone has done this as well. Only worse. Would delete all contacts from my iPhone, iTunes, and yahoo. Thankfully they were still in an other app on my Mac called entourage. From there I was able to restore my contacts. This happened several times. I have since stopped syncing with yahoo. Since I stopped syncing to yahoo the problem went away. Not much of a solution as I would rather be syncing to yahoo. I'm thinking about switching to gmail. Wonder if things will be smoother over there.

We are having the exact same issue. For no reason at all, all of my contacts disappeared from my phone, I couldn't even add one back in. Tried the Import SIM Contacts, and nothing happened. Just another quirk with the phone. The phone wasn't being used at the time the contacts disappeared.

Hello all, recently i purchased an iPhone 4s the day it came out and have loved it ever since i got it. However, last night while i was out i checked my contacts and i had gone from 234 contacts to 115!! I was so confused to what happened so i of course googled it and nothing came up, I was out last night and just thought i would restore from my last backup when i get home. So this morning thats what i did, all worked well and my contacts were back on my phone and i was happy that i fixed it without any problems.... Or so i thought... i exited my contacts app and started moving some apps around my springboard, then went into my contacts once more and i see i now have 95 contacts, when i JUST literally had my 234 contacts back. I restored from last backup once more, got my contacts back, exited the contacts app, came back in and now back to 95 contacts. WTF please help me guys it seems everytime i leave the contacts app it deletes a random amount of my contacts! What to do ?!?! :((

I am having the exact same problem. They need to fix this.

Okay guys, i do not know for sure but this is probably why this is happening

It is probably because you are using more then one account to sync/backup your contacts.

First, check ALL email accounts, and make sure "Contacts" is toggled off in all accounts. When doing this in iCloud make sure you choose to "keep on iPhone"

Now make sure that absolutely nothing else is set to sync/backup your contacts, especially iTunes. iTunes sucks at this.

Now make sure you have all your contacts (adding the missing contacts if possible)

Now make sure you are connected to WiFi. You must be connected to WiFi for this to work.

Go to:

Settings> iCloud> toggle Contacts on.

Now all your contacts are backed up to iCloud, and will always be restored to your device as long as you have an iCloud email address added. Even after restoring and setting up as new device. Onve iCloud is enabled, then anything you toggled on in Settings> iCloud will be downloaded to your phone.

I have had similar problems with my contacts and it was solely because I had "Contacts" toggled on in more then one email account.

If you are use to using something else to backup your contacts, I would drop whatever it is, and use iCloud only. (It clearly was not working too well if you have missing contacts any way;))

On a side note:

Every time you add a contact, it will automatically be saved to iCloud as long as you are connected to WiFi. So after this there is nothing you eve need to do to make sure you always have all of your contacts provided you added/enabled iCloud with Contacts toggled on. Contacts is toggled on in iCloud by default so all ya have to do is make sure that nothing else is doing the same thing.

I hope this fixed your problem. Like i said, i dont know for sure but really sounds like a multiple account syncing conflict with your contacts.

Last edited:
Thank you.... Unfortunately that didn't work. I don't know what in the world is happening but I think I will bring it in to a Verizon expert to see if they can help!!

I have been having this same problem. I don't sync my iphone with anything (icloud, itunes, yahoo, etc......) and don't have any apps installed other than the ones that came with the phone. I've had my iphone4 for over 14 months and this just started happening back in Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.