What's new

iPhone 4S battery issues

steve391

Reaction score
I got a 64GB iPhone 4s between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Battery life was fine until two weeks ago, now I lose about 15% every half hour even doing nothing except carrying it around.

Took in to apple, got a replacement was better for about 12 hours then back to same problem.

I shut down every service and function suggested but nothing makes a difference.

I suspect something is corrupted in software and I believe the restore process when i got the replacement device replicated the corruption.

I'd like to know if it's possible to reset the device back to factory settings in every respect, then just load my apps a back on without restoring whatever settings I have? Any othere suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Steve

Have you tried turning off the background running apps? Double tap the home button and then close those aps. They won't delete it just closes them. Once you have closed them check back and see if any are suckling battery juice.
I'm not a pro just offering my 2 cents: )

Zypherius!

yes did that, did soft resets and hard resets many times. still battery drains like crazy.

Hi

I got a huge improvement in battery life my turning off mobile data and only switching it on when I need it. May not provide a solution for your problem but it didn't half make a difference on my 4s 32Gb

Try charging the phone to 100% and then letting it die completely. Do this for a day or two and it should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zypherius said:
Have you tried turning off the background running apps? Double tap the home button and then close those aps. They won't delete it just closes them. Once you have closed them check back and see if any are suckling battery juice.
I'm not a pro just offering my 2 cents: )

Zypherius!

Multitasking if thats what you want to call it for the iPhone isn't actually multitasking.. Also apps don't run in the background the become inactive as soon as u switch to another app. So "closing" apps does very little to nothing at all

What i suggest you do is restart said device to factory default..
Set up as a new device using your iTunes account you bought your apps with..
Turn off what needs to be turned off if location services and notifications..
Install apps one by one...

Do not restore from back up

Last edited:
How do I keep iTunes from restoring apps?

restored as new phone, did not restore from back up that I know of, but iTunes put all my apps back on.

How do I keep iTunes from restoring apps?

restored as new phone, did not restore from back up that I know of, but iTunes put all my apps back on.

Restoring as a new phone was enough. iTunes re-installing the apps, without the data, would be the same as if you downloaded the apps manually from the market.

So you should be clean at this point for testing.

Battery still dies rapidly. Was down to 8% left between 1 and 2:00 with full charge at 7:00 AM.

no phone calls at all today.

Battery still dies rapidly. Was down to 8% left between 1 and 2:00 with full charge at 7:00 AM.

That rate of discharge means your iPhone is doing something constantly. Now would be a good time to look at which apps are using the GPS. Also it may be time to go to the extreme and do a full re-flash of the phone and not install any apps for a day or two to see if that clears the issue. Then start adding apps back a few at a time, like 2 or 3 per day to see if it is an app that is doing something beyond anything most of us have seen.

steve391 said:

By the way if you have this Bluetooth option on this will also drain your battery faster than usual.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

By the way if you have this Bluetooth option on this will also drain your battery faster than usual.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

I have had an iPhone 4S since launch day. Bluetooth has been on 24/7 since Oct 14th. Never once affected my battery life.

The issue is in the software not the hardware. And 90% of the time it is old data coming from an earlier phone that causes the issue. Take a brand new iPhone 4S with 5.0.1 installed and run it with no applications and it works exactly as advertised.