What's new

Blatantly obvious battery issue after going from iOS 5.01 to iOS 5.1

useruser

Reaction score
I've been using my iPhone 4 without a plan for the past six months. So I just run it in Locked Sim Mode.

Using it this way with a Skype account and text+ app to use it as a normal phone (I'm in wifi everywhere I go except driving, where it's illegal to use the phone anyway in my area). I typically was getting 10-11 hours of usage over 2-3 days stand by.

Well I upgraded to iOS 5.1 a day or so after it was released and my battery life instantly dropped to 5-6 hours of usage over 1-2 days stand by. I may as well be using my old iphone 3G, which is still sitting on my desk defiantly grinning at me because of my peril.

People always suggest the typical "turn off push and icloud and email" and this and that, but I've had all that stuff turned on the entire time and my battery life was very consistent in the 10-11 hour usage range. I actually did extensive A-B-A testing on all the battery life saving settings over a period of a few months and found that none of the settings optimization's made a significant enough difference to warrant the loss of the features I was turning off. Even with every possible feature turned off I only gained about 30 minutes at best.

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone has a clue how to fix it. Because I've noticed that with this new update, doing a restore back to the previous backup doesn't change the iOS back, it only restores your contacts and settings, etc. Apple doesn't want people reverting back to the old iOS anymore apparently. So I'm stuck.

FAIL

Edit: Added that it was an iPhone 4.

Side Note: I would have posted this in the apple support forums but after many attempts and even resetting my password I was not able to successfully log in to the apple website.

Last edited:
You might have skipped one step. Hard reboot after a full cycle discharge and recharge. That will reset the battery stats upper and lower limits and might give you a better idea of what is going on.