What's new

iPhone 4 won't reset

Ok, I'm an Old School Cell Phone Repair guy in the biz 20 years. I specialize in hardware replacement and own my own one man shop. I am not up on the software, and have only dabbled in flashing a bit. To me if youre good at the hardware stuff, its difficult to be good at the software side, and vice versa.

I recently took a iphone 4 cdma from VZW in on a trade. Fixed the lcd assembly, charge port, power button, and cleaned out the MoBo. The kid who I got it from told me its jailbroken. As is customary with any phone I refurbish, I wipe the data. I tried this a number of times and it wont work. It just stays on that spinning dash circle for hours. Its non responsive as others on here have noted. The only way to stop it is to pull the battery clip and cut power. after 30 seconds, I reattach it and it boots normally; but nothing is erased. How do I get the customers info off with out doing a full restore. I hate what the ios 7 has done to the 4 series(hundreds of problems, but thats a different thread) and do not want to upgrade the software. It looks like its an 8gb with only 234mb free(At first I thought thats why it might be taking so long to reset). Its running 6.0.1(10A523). I see "Cydia" in one of the folders along with "Crash Reporter", "Activator", and "DashBoard X"; and there may be other stuff on here too. I remember Cydia had something to do with Jailbreaking. I'd like to sell this as Jailbroken, but get all the last users info off. I wouldnt mind getting rid of the jailbreak as a last resort, but definitely dont want to upgrade to 7. I dont have any programs pertaining to this on my PC, so I'd need links to that too. THANX IN ADVANCE!!! Maybe I can help with some hardware fixes in the future.