What's new

iPhone 4 won't recognize SIM after Jailbreak

hiddenvariable

Reaction score
Here's the problem in a nutshell
-Bought a used jailbroken iPhone stuck in recovery mode
-Managed to restore it to factory settings using redsn0w somehow and got it running iOS 5
-Tried inserting new but unauthorized SIM, got the "No SIM/No Service" message in the corner
-Jailbroke it using redsn0w (and didn't check the "Deactivate" box)
-Still got the "No SIM/No Service" message
-Installed Ultrasn0w via Cydia but still no luck with the SIM

After doing hours of research on it I think the problem is related to the baseband. I have a feeling I screwed myself when Jailbreaking it without checking the deactivate box. Everything I've read says if you're jail breaking it and plan to unlock it so you can use any SIM than you need to take certain steps with regard to the baseband. Using TinyUmbrella I can see that the current baseband is Version: 04.11.08-ICE_2_13 with Firmware: 5.0.1. I've already tried to unjailbreak it by restoring it with iTunes but I get that message saying the operation can't be completed because the device is ineligible and unchecking the box in TinyUmbrella and editing the host file manually didn't fix it (the host can't be edited because it is in use).

So basically I have a working Jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 but it won't accept a new SIM card despite doing everything I can to unlock it. I'm not good at this sort of thing so I think I'm missing out on something conceptually here.
Does anyone have any suggestions?