What's new

No Service with PAYG sim abroad

glasshopper

Reaction score
gHi there

This is my first post so please be gentle with me :) I hope this question hasn't been asked if it has and a satisfactory answer given I'd really appreciate a link so I can read for myself. I have looked in this forum and other sites on the internet for a solution to my problem but haven't found a satisfactory answer. It seems this place is the best place to answer my question - kudos to you guys. So here goes.

I have a 32 gb iphone4 that was locked to the Three network in UK. After a problem with my contract, Three cancelled my contract and left me with the iphone. I was rather peeved with Three as I had been with them for ten years or so and I lost my number but there was nothing that could be done by Three UK and they were sorry. So I got myself a UK PAYG microsim from Three UK as the iphone was locked to Three UK and happily got on with my life.

I then went Italy for a couple of weeks and took my iphone with me. I bought a micro sim first from Three Italia which didn't work and then Vodafone Italia which also didn't work. I guess my iphone was locked even on the Three network for Italy. So I then Jailbreaked my iphone using redsn0w_mac_0.9.8b3 and iPhone3,1_4.3.4_8K2_Restore as was recommended but still the Vodafone Italia or Three Italia micro sims still didn't work so I left it there.

I came back to the UK and after a short search on the internet found out that I could get my iphone unlocked if I called Three UK customer services and ask for an unlock. So I did. I called them gave them my IMEI number paid some money to them and after they has run a check on the iphone I had in my possession, to see if they were able to unlock it they told me they would contact Apple to unlock the iphone and after 48 hours a text message would be sent to my PAYG number at which point I could connect to iTunes and my phone would be unlocked. Yay!!!

I didn't get the text message after 48 hours and after a few calls to customer services of Three UK found out that they had sent to text message to my old phone number to which the iphone was contracted in the first place but managed to sort everything out on the end - I think.

So I was assured by the customer services rep at Three UK that my iphone is now unlocked and I could connect to iTunes which I did although I can't remember what the result was. And so I went to Italy again and put in the micro sim that I had previously purchased from Vodafone Italia and then Three Italia. No Service with either. So I went to the Vodafone shop in Italy where I had bought the micro sim and they gave me a new one. Still No Service. They told me that iphones, as an example from USA, do not work with Italian iphones sims because Italian iphones are locked to Italian micro sims and I might be having the same problem with an iphone from the UK. I was also told that they can perform an unlock but they would want 50 euros to do it and that I must never switch off my iphone as if I did I would lose the unlock and have to come back and pay another 30 euros to do the unlock again. I told them I would let them know.

So I came back home (in Italy) and connected the Vodafone Italia sim to iTunes and restored my iphone with the new micro sim in. I got a message at the end of the restore to the effect that that micro sim I was using was not authorized and that I had to reinsert the sim that it was originally with to get service or contact customer service to get a new micro sim.

Undeterred, I searched the internet and found that I would need to Jailbreak my iphone for a foreign PAYG micro sim to work in a UK iphone. I downloaded the newer software from redsn0w (redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b5c) and Jailbreaked my iphone with the Vodafone Italia sim in hoping this would work. Still No Service. However when I inserted my old Three UK micro sim, I had No Service with that micro sim too so I restored my iphone with the Three UK micro sim and jailbreaked with the Three UK sim then put the Vodafone Italia micro sim and still No Service. The Three UK sim works fine now but not any of the the foreign ones. Back to square one.

I don't know what to do next that is why I an hoping one of you guys can work round a fix for me. I searched the internet and could not find any relevant answers although there was a thread from a poor girl in Brazil who had an iphone from Portugal and was told to reinsert a micro sim from Portugal - which sadly she didn't have. I don't have that problem as I still have a UK micro sim that works.

So my question is - What do I do next to use a PAYG sim from another country in my UK iphone? Any help would be most gratefully appreciated and if you need to know more please ask.

And lastly, thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I will keep this thread updated for anybody else who has this problem - which I can imagine is a common one can come and get an answer here. I will also contact Three customer `service in the UK to see if they have lagged and will let you know the outcome of that circular conversation.

In the meantime good luck all.

Glasshopper.

Last edited: