What's new

iPhone 4 won't reset

Preacher

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 and baseband 04.12.01.

It's been presenting some problems, like not updating apps, and installing apps on itunes even when I say to remove them.

I tried to reset it to factory settings, but it takes hours (really, I tried three times and it took two hours each time) and does NOTHING.

I don't want to restore via iTunes because it will automatically update to iOS 6.1.3, which as far as I know doesn't have jailbreak).

What can I do?

If you jailbroke your device on iOS 5.1.1 during the signing window of iOS 5.1.1, Cydia will have your SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1 saved, so you can jailbrea it again. And the iPhone 4 is jailbreakable on iOS 6.1.3, it's a tethered jailbreak meaning every time you turn your device completely off or reboot your device, you'll need access to a computer to get it running fully again by booting the device tethered.

Restoring factory settings doesn't work on jailbroken devices.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...i-jailbreak-my-iphone-ios-x-x-x-thread-51577/

If you jailbroke your device on iOS 5.1.1 during the signing window of iOS 5.1.1, Cydia will have your SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1 saved, so you can jailbrea it again. And the iPhone 4 is jailbreakable on iOS 6.1.3, it's a tethered jailbreak meaning every time you turn your device completely off or reboot your device, you'll need access to a computer to get it running fully again by booting the device tethered.

Restoring factory settings doesn't work on jailbroken devices.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...i-jailbreak-my-iphone-ios-x-x-x-thread-51577/

I never used a tethered jailbreak and wouldn't feel safe using it now. How can I find this SHSH blobs and use it? I do believe I saved them with Tiny Umbrella, but I'm not sure.

Is there any way to restore the iPhone in iTunes WITHOUT updating to 6.1.3?

Open up TinyUmbrella, connect your device and save them again. By default, the directory that they're saved in is C:\Users\Username\.shsh

The only way to restore selective is to have blobs. If you don't have blobs, your only option is to restore to the latest iOS. The only difference between a tethered and an untethered jailbreak again, is that if you turn the device off or reboot the device, you'll need a computer to boot it back up using a just boot feature from utilities like RedSn0w or iFaith. For an average idevice user, you shouldn't be turning your device on and off on a daily basis or regularly since it consumes more battery to boot up the iOS that it does to keep it on standby. The only time the device should be turned off is if you need to perform a hard reset because of a problem, or when you're draining out the battery once a month or so to keep the battery healthy.

Open up TinyUmbrella, connect your device and save them again. By default, the directory that they're saved in is C:\Users\Username\.shsh

The only way to restore selective is to have blobs. If you don't have blobs, your only option is to restore to the latest iOS. The only difference between a tethered and an untethered jailbreak again, is that if you turn the device off or reboot the device, you'll need a computer to boot it back up using a just boot feature from utilities like RedSn0w or iFaith. For an average idevice user, you shouldn't be turning your device on and off on a daily basis or regularly since it consumes more battery to boot up the iOS that it does to keep it on standby. The only time the device should be turned off is if you need to perform a hard reset because of a problem, or when you're draining out the battery once a month or so to keep the battery healthy.

And having the blobs, how do I restore it to 5.1.1?

If you have the blobs, the easiest way I would say to use them would be RedSn0w. You wouldn't have to rely on 2 separate utilities (iTunes and RedSn0w) to do the same job that RedSn0w alone can do. Using the Restore feature in RedSn0w, it'll stitch and restore the custom 5.1.1 IPSW without leaving a stitched IPSW laying around as you'd delete it anyways after use.

Download a clean copy of the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW for your device, run RedSn0w > Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW that you downloaded. For blobs, you can select Remote or Local. Remote would retrieve them from Cydia (which is where you're retrieving them from using TU), and Local would be locally on your computer, meaning the ones that you saved using TU onto your computer. Put the device into DFU mode and RedSn0w will PwnedDFU it for you, and the restore process will begin. After the restore process, because you're installing a custom firmware, you'll need to kick it out of Recovery Mode at the end and your device will be re-restored to 5.1.1.

If you have the blobs, the easiest way I would say to use them would be RedSn0w. You wouldn't have to rely on 2 separate utilities (iTunes and RedSn0w) to do the same job that RedSn0w alone can do. Using the Restore feature in RedSn0w, it'll stitch and restore the custom 5.1.1 IPSW without leaving a stitched IPSW laying around as you'd delete it anyways after use.

Download a clean copy of the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW for your device, run RedSn0w > Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW that you downloaded. For blobs, you can select Remote or Local. Remote would retrieve them from Cydia (which is where you're retrieving them from using TU), and Local would be locally on your computer, meaning the ones that you saved using TU onto your computer. Put the device into DFU mode and RedSn0w will PwnedDFU it for you, and the restore process will begin. After the restore process, because you're installing a custom firmware, you'll need to kick it out of Recovery Mode at the end and your device will be re-restored to 5.1.1.

Great news! I still didn't restore it, was waiting to do it in the weekend. In the meantime, the home button stopped working! Isn't that great???

It was working perfectly, until it stopped. I was using, then put it to charge. When I took it off the charger, the home button wasn't working anymore.

Is there any way to do this restore without the home button (enter and exit DFU mode without it)?

Create a DFU IPSW using the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW that matches your device with RedSn0w. It needs to be a clean one. Whenever you need to DFU the device, open up iTunes, shift+click the DFU IPSW, let it go through the restore process. At the end of the process, it'll DFU the device, does not actually restore the device to a fresh copy of 6.1.3

Create a DFU IPSW using the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW that matches your device with RedSn0w. It needs to be a clean one. Whenever you need to DFU the device, open up iTunes, shift+click the DFU IPSW, let it go through the restore process. At the end of the process, it'll DFU the device, does not actually restore the device to a fresh copy of 6.1.3

Sorry to bother, but I have no idea how to do any of this. Can you provide me a link for a tutorial?

Open up RedSn0w. Go to Extras > Even More > DFU IPSW. Select the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW for your device and it'll create a new IPSW in the same directory called ENTER_DFU_iPhone3......ipsw.

I was googling now and got to fix the home button... I didn't knew about the "realign the docking port" thing. :D

I'll download the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW now and try to restore.

iPhone restored successfully, thanks for your help!

One of the problems that was bugging me remains. iTunes keeps reinstalling apps that I uninstalled. Is it possible that whatever bug the iphone had returned when I restored the backup from iCloud?

Not a bug. It's built into the iOS. Go to Settings.app > iTunes & AppStores. Turn off automatic downloads for your apps. This is basically only used for users with multiple devices under the same iOS, where they might want to the same identical apps on both devices when you download them on one.

Not a bug. It's built into the iOS. Go to Settings.app > iTunes & AppStores. Turn off automatic downloads for your apps. This is basically only used for users with multiple devices under the same iOS, where they might want to the same identical apps on both devices when you download them on one.

It was already turned off.

The thing is, in iTunes I click to remove some apps, and when I click to sync it does not remove them. It only takes them off the folders.

After restore + iTunes update, all problems were solved.

iPhone is updating apps normally and iTunes is not keeping removed apps.