What's new

iPhone 4 with iOS 6, how to migrate to new iPhone 4s with iOS 5?

MitzEclipse

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have an iPhone 4 with iOS 6. I am tired of Apple Maps and need Google Maps back. Therefore I'm thinking of buying an iPhone 4s with iOS 5 so I can get google maps back.

Is it as easy as backing up my iPhone 4 with iOS 6 to my Macbook Air then syncing my iPhone 4s? Would the iPhone 4s be forced to upgrade to iOS6? This is definitely something I don't want to happen!

Would my apps transfer OK based on the fact a lot of them were upgraded with iOS 6, i'm assuming there won't be an issue transferring those apps to iOS5?

Thanks in advance.

The only thing that will happen is if any of the apps are iOS 6 only, they will not install doing the restore from your backup. The good news is, the data for those apps will be restored. So once you finally do go back to iOS 6 and reinstall those apps, nothing will be lost.

If she is not wanting the new iOS6 will it automatically update when she tries to sync it with her computer?

I have an iPhone4s but I am still using iOS5 because I love google maps and do not want to loose it like MitzEclipse. I have not synced my phone for a while now because I am worried that it will force me to update my phone to iOS6

If she is not wanting the new iOS6 will it automatically update when she tries to sync it with her computer?

I have an iPhone4s but I am still using iOS5 because I love google maps and do not want to loose it like MitzEclipse. I have not synced my phone for a while now because I am worried that it will force me to update my phone to iOS6

You have to give iTunes permission to install iOS 6. Trust me, there is no way for it to install until you do something overt.

there are ways to get google maps on ios 6 you dont have to go to such extreme measures to get google maps, though on the iphone 4S you would get turn by turn as well on the apple maps which works better then actual tom tom devices...

Google maps is now available on IOS 6! Finally!