What's new

Cannot upgrade to IOS 4.3 or IOS 5 from IOS 4.2.1 on Iphone 4

walterdavid

Reaction score
My wife recently tried to upgrade to IOS 4.3 or IOS 5 on her iphone 4 from IOS 4.2.1. She did this to be able to use some apps that required 4.3 or higher. However, when she tried to upgrade the IOS on ITunes, it only gave her the option to upgrade to IOS 6 (no lower options) It was IOS 6 or nothing. However, if she went to IOS 6, she would lose Google Maps, and that is her favorite app. I have IOS 6 on my phone with the new maps app, and it is terrible. We went to the local Apple Store to see if they could load 4.3 or 5 on her phone, and they said she can only get IOS 6. This is crazy. Question #1. Is there any kind of "work-around" so that 4.3 or 5 can be loaded on her phone?

The next question is: Are there any other free map apps out there for the Iphone that are as good, or better than Google Maps? In lieu of that, are there any plans by Apple or Google to make Google Maps compatible with IOS 6? Thanks. Dave.

Please refrain from posting the same question twice. It splits the answers and discussion in a way that isn't helpful to you.

The only way for you to upgrade or downgrade to an iOS that isn't being signed anymore is to have the SHSH Blobs saved for them first. This requires that you have them manually saved using Cydia's servers by jailbreaking your device and using TinyUmbrella. Without saved blobs, you can't do anything but upgrade to the latest iOS

In answer to your second question, Google is apparently working on a Google maps app. There is no word on when or if the app will be released.