What's new

Upgrading iOS

richardz1

Reaction score
Hi all, just joined the forum, my name is Richard, got an iPhone 4 running on 4.2.1, there are certain
apps i can no longer use so would like to upgrade to iOS 4.3.5, no later as I have absolutely no desire
to have any form of facebook or twitter integration as I have a hatred of social networking sites, I prefer to
be social with my friends in person!

I can only update to iOS 6 on iTunes, I'm sure someone far smarter than
me can assist in updating to 4.3.5...........please???

Thanks

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums Richard. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.

iPhone Tips & Tricks

What is jailbreaking?

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

Understanding and Utilizing RedSn0w

Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

If you don't like the social networking integration, you don't have to use them. As long as you don't sign into Facebook or Twitter in your Settings.app, you won't have the integration running on your device. Plus, a nice majority of apps in the AppStore requires iOS 4.3 or 5 and above to run (as you've already found out), so upgrading to iOS 6 increases your compatibility in terms of apps and such. If you still want to restore to iOS 4.3.5, you'll need the iOS 4.3.5 SHSH blobs for your particular device saved in order to do so. If you don't have blobs saved, your only option is to upgrade to the latest iOS, which is 6.1.2.

Rich, just take the plunge and upgrade to the latest version. I held off on my iP4 for a long time also, but finally got tired of not getting the latest apps, etc... The upgrade went smoothly using (expletive deleted) iTunes and now I can accomplish future upgrades using iCloud. You'll be glad you did it, but make sure you back up your device first! Good luck.

Hi all, thank you for the replies.

Jon, apologies if if originally posted in the wrong section, I will have a look through your guides.

I understand that I do not have to activate facebook or twitter, however there is still some integration i.e. on the
photo app, if you press the arrow button you get the option to MMS, e-mail etc, it also given an option to tweet,
I do not want to see anything to do with twitter or facebook built into the phone, it will irritate me immensely as
crazy as it sounds. For this reason I will never upgrade past 4.3.5, if I can get as far as that which is now looking
unlikely.

Any further advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Richard

Hi all, thank you for the replies.

Jon, apologies if if originally posted in the wrong section, I will have a look through your guides.

I understand that I do not have to activate facebook or twitter, however there is still some integration i.e. on the
photo app, if you press the arrow button you get the option to MMS, e-mail etc, it also given an option to tweet,
I do not want to see anything to do with twitter or facebook built into the phone, it will irritate me immensely as
crazy as it sounds. For this reason I will never upgrade past 4.3.5, if I can get as far as that which is now looking
unlikely.

Any further advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Richard

iOS 5 does not have social networking integration. But again, you'll need blobs saved for your device ahead of time to be able to restore to iOS 4.3.5 or iOS 5. Otherwise, your only option is to restore to iOS 6.1.2.