What's new

iPhone 4 warranty

tuananh87vn

Reaction score
Hi,

Today i've just purchased an iPhone 4, my dream, unboxing and activating it. As soon as the activation done, i check its warranty on Apple website and it says the warranty expiration date is March 27 2012 while the regular 90-day phone call support has gone. Wtf, where are other 9 months of warranty along with phone support??? Can anybody help to explain?

And one more thing, i'm not sure if my phone is unlocked (world) or not. The seller says its distributed for KT, and i did check it against SKT SIM. And it worked. Can we conclude that it's a unlocked version?

Btw, i'm living in Korea but having a plan to go backto my country for a while, so i need my phone to work internationally.

Thank you very much!

Well if the Device is for KT that likely means its locked to KT and this is why it works when you use a KT sim, try another sim card that is not KT and if it works then the phone is unlocked but it sounds to me like it wont going by what you said

Well if the Device is for KT that likely means its locked to KT and this is why it works when you use a KT sim, try another sim card that is not KT and if it works then the phone is unlocked but it sounds to me like it wont going by what you said

Actually, it did work with SK (or SKT) SIM, so does it mean it is a unlocked phone.

The warranty issue indeed worries more, how come a newly activated phone has less than 3 months of warranty?

I really dont know the carriers that you guys have so I would use something completely different other then the two you tried and if it works then its unlocked.. unlocked basically means it will work with any micro sim that you put in there so if its locked it will just work with one single carrier depending on what carrier has locked it, I dont know if SKT and SK are the same carriers or completely different carriers? do they use the same network? if so then try another network.

usually its one year warranty but you will have to check with your store as I am going by the uk apple store policy and its not the same every where. but the iphone is a good solid phone and in 1.5 years of usage I have not had a single problem! plus the warranty does not really cover much so if you drop and break or it drops in water then you are not really covered and have to pay any way.. if you are really worried then I would go to a 3rd party company that will properly cover your smart phone and even replace it no matter how you break or if you lose the device.

I really dont know the carriers that you guys have so I would use something completely different other then the two you tried and if it works then its unlocked.. unlocked basically means it will work with any micro sim that you put in there so if its locked it will just work with one single carrier depending on what carrier has locked it, I dont know if SKT and SK are the same carriers or completely different carriers? do they use the same network? if so then try another network.

usually its one year warranty but you will have to check with your store as I am going by the uk apple store policy and its not the same every where. but the iphone is a good solid phone and in 1.5 years of usage I have not had a single problem! plus the warranty does not really cover much so if you drop and break or it drops in water then you are not really covered and have to pay any way.. if you are really worried then I would go to a 3rd party company that will properly cover your smart phone and even replace it no matter how you break or if you lose the device.

Well SK and SKT is just different name of a same carrier, but KT is different. Anyway, i tested and my phone worked well with both.

Regarding the warranty, i also believe iPhone is a good product, even without warranty, for at least first 1-2 years. What concerns me here, however, is the seller doesn't sell me what he claims: a brandnew unopened box phone. Yes, it's new, sealed and unopenboxed, plus it requires activation as the first time of usage. But what shown on the website check is the warranty lasted until 27 of March 2012. In other words, if the 1-year limited warranty of Apple rules, then the phone is activated 9 months ago- last March. It's not just the matter of product quality, but the matter of seller's ethics. Or it's the problem of the system otherwise.

Feeling confused and losing trust now :(

something worth adding to the comments if you have not already or you could even demand your cash back for false advertising

something worth adding to the comments if you have not already or you could even demand your cash back for false advertising

Yeah, you're right. Even i already took the phone home, and added a protection film over the front, i think i can still argue with the seller to protect my rights.

Only a possibility as sounds very odd
But I think (not 100%)
But on all new apple products you get 12 months warranty
But if this handset is a replacement from apple the warranty on the new item is 90days
Apple can tell you this thou from the code on the phone if it's a recon or a new one
Wouldn't worry to much I had my phone replace and it was a like for like new one! But as I found out it was only 90days
But I asked from this code they can even tell what factory it was made in
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Only a possibility as sounds very odd
But I think (not 100%)
But on all new apple products you get 12 months warranty
But if this handset is a replacement from apple the warranty on the new item is 90days
Apple can tell you this thou from the code on the phone if it's a recon or a new one
Wouldn't worry to much I had my phone replace and it was a like for like new one! But as I found out it was only 90days
But I asked from this code they can even tell what factory it was made in
Hope this helps

Yes, i also think this is possibly the case. The phone ooks very new indeed. One more thing i noticed is the box has no IMEI labelled, but the IMEI is on the SIM holder (very tiny), i checked out other several iPhone 4 boxes in the store: the same thing. However iPhone4S still has IMEI on the box.

Is there any case in which Apple puts a like-new product into the box, then reset the activation and push it as a replacement product to the users?

Anyway, how can we request Apple to provide us with such these manufactory information? I'll going to ask the secondary seller to request the primary seller to figure it out.

When I had my replacement I also had all the paper work and stickers ( imei number) to stick over the old one on the box
Apple told me its what they do
As they only replace handset
Not the box no charger or headphones
Hard one might be barking up the wrong tree but something isn't right I would get back on contact
Or contact apple see of they can shine some light on it
Apple seem very helpful but it might be a case where they might book an appointment

When I had my replacement I also had all the paper work and stickers ( imei number) to stick over the old one on the box
Apple told me its what they do
As they only replace handset
Not the box no charger or headphones
Hard one might be barking up the wrong tree but something isn't right I would get back on contact
Or contact apple see of they can shine some light on it
Apple seem very helpful but it might be a case where they might book an appointment

I've just figured out the reason: The phone comes from a contract which was signed, as we can guess, 9 months ago. As such, the phone was contractually activated while remained sealed. That's why i can get a 16G iPhone in its original state with a good price, say, $570 (regular price here is round $7-800).

Problems solved! $ means nothing to me lol
But glad u sorted it
And also who keeps an iPhone for 9 months boxed! Lmao

Problems solved! $ means nothing to me lol
But glad u sorted it
And also who keeps an iPhone for 9 months boxed! Lmao

Yes, it is solved, assuming that there's no cheat complicated enough :)) Thank you for your answers ;)

It is out of the topic, but may i ask: Should i upgrade to iOS5 (5.0.1) or be with 4?

Upgrade definitely. Great features in ios 5.

OMG, amazing. Upon being upgraded to iOS5, my iPhone has its warranty FULL, with expiration date of Jan 13, 2013. This is is so so unbelievable, omg >"<