What's new

iPhone 4 - strange noise problem on call

weatherreport

Reaction score
For 2 month or so, my 6 months old iphone 4 (not jailbroken) started to make some weird noises. I hear loud scratching noises coming from the speaker (also from the earphones) during a call. Today while talking to my father, i realized that this noise appear and arise when the opposite side is silent. I don't get what's wrong but this may be a clue for someone with a similar experience. Since this problem began, i've installed updated latest ios's at least two times.*
Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks alredy.

It sounds like a hardware issue. I would make an appointment at the Apple store, and see if they can fix it. Since your device is still under warranty!

I have no idea what the issue could be. There seems to be a lot of issues these days with the iPhone. I would suggest replacing it with apple. They replaced my iPhone and earphones the other day on spot.

Well, it seems to be the best option to go to Apple for a replacement... But I'm in Istanbul and Apple doesn't serve directly here. There are contracted third parties here. They are as kind as Apple but they usually respond very slow. It may take a month and maybe more and I really don't want that now. Do you really think this is a hardware issue? This strange noise doesn't sound as a mechanical one, don't happen all the time and especially not while shaking or moving the phone. And BTW, does installing the latest ios do the same thing as a restore? I didn't try the same old backup-and-restore thing.

I have no idea what the issue could be. There seems to be a lot of issues these days with the iPhone. I would suggest replacing it with apple. They replaced my iPhone and earphones the other day on spot.

Question, iCrank. This thread raises a point for people like me who live hundreds of miles (well, maybe just 220 miles) from the nearest Apple Store. What are our options? Will the local ATT store where many of us purchased our iPhones honor our 1 year warranty (or two year warranty if the Apple Care package was purchased)? Are there any other options for us if we have hardware issues, other than driving a 400+ mile round trip?

Note: tough question for you possibly. Apologies putting you on the spot, but you're good!!

Anyone else?????

EWyatt said:
Question, iCrank. This thread raises a point for people like me who live hundreds of miles (well, maybe just 220 miles) from the nearest Apple Store. What are our options? Will the local ATT store where many of us purchased our iPhones honor our 1 year warranty (or two year warranty if the Apple Care package was purchased)? Are there any other options for us if we have hardware issues, other than driving a 400+ mile round trip?

Note: tough question for you possibly. Apologies putting you on the spot, but you're good!!

Anyone else?????

I just called my local apple store and was told that you would have to schedule a genius bar appointment to get your device swapped out. I mentioned the distance and was told that you would still have to make an appt. Good deal that apple is working on a over the net diagnostics for users in your situation. It just sucks that you'll have to travel. I'm not familiar with how AT&T operates but good manners goes a long way. On top of that apple keeps a good standing reputation with its customers and I'm sure you'll be able to send it in.